Download Pop3/imap Tickets Per Minute

Rocketz

Question

I set the Blesta cron to 1 minute, but can't set the download tickets task to less than 5 minutes. 

There are SLA's to meet, and 5 minutes is a long time for a very specific customer segment. How can I move the task to 1 minute?

Piping is not possible as Blesta runs on its own server, apart from the website. Emails are on yet another server too. 

12 answers to this question

I'm not saying it's an implementation issue :) I'm saying that for a certain customer segment who have strict SLA's and escalation procdures, a delay of up to 5 minutes can make a very big difference. 

SLA is Service Level Agreement meaning you don't go down, not sure what benefit a 5 minute delay is going to have. 

There are SLA's for a lot of things, not just uptime. And the world is not just hosting :)

When you sign an SLA with a customer, it can be for uptime, support, speed, access, latency, escalation procedure, etc. It's basically a guidebook on what you're guaranteeing, what you are prepared to do about it, what the customer should expect from you and when to expect it.

For example, let's say some critical flaw is discovered in a patch I just released. The fictional in this case SLA, would be something along the lines of

- A response within 5 minutes of notification

- Escalate to a systems engineer within 15 minutes

- Communication with the customer every 5 minutes

- Test patched flaw against a backup of the customer's systems within 30 minutes

- Deploy to the customer's system

- Monitor

- Provide an RFO within 3 days with a full explanation

Each of those steps is in the SLA and must be followed. 

The customer pays a good deal of money for this kind of SLA and it has to be followed. 

I would suggest using piping for email tickets if possible. You could use a subdomain if necessary, like support@department.domain.com, and possibly even forward email to this address.

Blesta will not process any task more frequently than every 5 minutes. This has, in part to do with race conditions and other potential issues. We may revisit this in the future. Piping is instantaneous though, so even better than every 1 minute.

I'm not sure I follow. How can piping be done when there's the email server, and then the blesta server? They are completely separate. 

Are you saying to forward from public-email@domain.com (in this case, let's say support@domain.com) to email@blesta-subdomain.domain.com ?

And how would piping work in this case? What email address does the customer see on ticket replies? 

You would have to run an email server on the same installation. If it's not possible to point MX for your domain to that server, you could use a subdomain.

Departments can override the from address as defined on the ticket, or not. If you only have 1 department, then you can disable the override on the department and mask the subdomain from the client.

For example: support@domain.com -> forwards to support@blesta-server.domain.com. This would be the Email set for the department, but the email templates would use support@domain.com and the department will not override the from address.

That is only useful if there is 1 department.

If you need more than 1 department that will accept email, then you can still forward email from your primary domain, but the from address must be overwritten on the department or replies will not make it back.

In this case, a customer may email support@domain.com, or sales@domain.com, and get a reply from support@blesta-server.domain.com, or sales@blesta-server.domain.com. For most people, this is not an issue. It may even be preferable to use a subdomain, or a different domain for tickets. You could use something like @companynamesupport.com for your ticket emails.

I hope that makes sense.

Oi, getting a headache :) I've been through the forum threads where piping has been discussed, and performed all the fixes, such as CHMOD 755 pipe.php and added "#!/usr/local/bin/php -q" at the top of pipe.php too

I keep getting this bounceback. Username and domain have been edited for privacy 

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1/
       generated by support@blesta.domain.com
       (ultimately generated from support@domain.com) ------

/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 2: ?php: No such file or directory
/home/user.public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 3: /**: No such file or directory
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 4: access-logs: command not found
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 5: access-logs: command not found
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 6: access-logs: command not found
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 7: access-logs/: Is a directory
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 8: =: command not found
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 10: try: command not found
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 11: syntax error near unexpected token `dirname'
/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 11: `  include(dirname(__FILE__) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . ".." . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . ".." . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . "lib/init.php");'

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;|/home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1/

Further troubleshooting, I got it somewhat working. The ticket is now piped into Blesta, but getting an RFC bounceback : 

------ pipe to |/home/blestauser/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1/
       generated by support@blesta.domain.com
       (ultimately generated from support@domain.com) ------

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;|/home/blestauser/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1/

I have a fairly default setup right now to test this. Main domain email, created and forwarded to blesta subdomain, which is also a real email account, and then piped to Blesta.