Paypal In Testing Mode - Blesta Does Not Recognize Payment And Does Not Return From Paypal Web Site

dait

Question

I am not sure if this is a fault of my settings or whether this is a bug or whether this is caused by the fact that I am testing PayPal in testing mode - i.e. PayPal Sandbox.

There are three issues I have:

1) When a user orders a packages and pays with "PayPal Payments Standard" in Test Mode, Blesta did not recognized the payment was made, the Invoice is put to "Past Due" and it is just not finished, the user keeps getting those "Invoice Due" emails.

2) When the payment was done, the user was not taken back to Blesta Client area, but remained on the PayPal page. This actually happened to me when I paid for Blesta's license, so I assume this is an issue even in production environment. I am not sure whether there PayPal API supports this (but I would be very surprised if it does not), but if yes, I think it should be implemented and if not then it might be a good idea to change the anchor's "target" attribute of that PayPal button to "_blank" so that Blesta page keeps existing in the user's browser and it then it would be great if Blesta detected the payment user just made and refreshed that page after that to something that makes sense in the particular context - "Thank you for your purchase" or something like this.

3) When the PayPal payment web page is loaded after clicking the payment button from the Blesta's order page, the user is allowed to enter the name of the item (This also happended to me when I paid for Blesta's licence). I would rather want to have the name of the item fixed by the package/product creator, not by the client.

Could any of these issues be mitigated using some kind of settings I have missed?

10 answers to this question

I am not sure if this is a fault of my settings or whether this is a bug or whether this is caused by the fact that I am testing PayPal in testing mode - i.e. PayPal Sandbox.

There are three issues I have:

1) When a user orders a packages and pays with "PayPal Payments Standard" in Test Mode, Blesta did not recognized the payment was made, the Invoice is put to "Past Due" and it is just not finished, the user keeps getting those "Invoice Due" emails.

Does anything show up in the module log? Tools > Logs > Module. If the email address entered into the gateway in Blesta doesn't match that from which PayPal is including in their IPN call, it won't be credited. Some people have multiple aliases, and we have a task so that these aliases can be added to the gateway and be accepted as well. (CORE-697)

2) When the payment was done, the user was not taken back to Blesta Client area, but remained on the PayPal page. This actually happened to me when I paid for Blesta's license, so I assume this is an issue even in production environment. I am not sure whether there PayPal API supports this (but I would be very surprised if it does not), but if yes, I think it should be implemented and if not then it might be a good idea to change the anchor's "target" attribute of that PayPal button to "_blank" so that Blesta page keeps existing in the user's browser and it then it would be great if Blesta detected the payment user just made and refreshed that page after that to something that makes sense in the particular context - "Thank you for your purchase" or something like this.

I found a task, CORE-662, that resolved an issue with an error being displayed within Blesta when returning from PayPal. This was solved in 3.0.1. However, this may be a matter of the user clicking the return link, which is mentioned in this case, and an automatic redirect. This may require another look.

3) When the PayPal payment web page is loaded after clicking the payment button from the Blesta's order page, the user is allowed to enter the name of the item (This also happended to me when I paid for Blesta's licence). I would rather want to have the name of the item fixed by the package/product creator, not by the client.

I agree, the user shouldn't be able to edit the item. I have assigned this to CORE-809.

Sorry I have to divide this post to multiple parts because it is said to contain too much images ...

I agree, the user shouldn't be able to edit the item. I have assigned this to CORE-809.

Thank you.

Does anything show up in the module log? Tools > Logs > Module. If the email address entered into the gateway in Blesta doesn't match that from which PayPal is including in their IPN call, it won't be credited. Some people have multiple aliases, and we have a task so that these aliases can be added to the gateway and be accepted as well. (CORE-697)

I found a task, CORE-662, that resolved an issue with an error being displayed within Blesta when returning from PayPal. This was solved in 3.0.1. However, this may be a matter of the user clicking the return link, which is mentioned in this case, and an automatic redirect. This may require another look.

Our Module log is empty. I have now closed all support tickets, cleared all invoices and started again. Here is step-by-step

1) Order page

9iw0pg5.jpg

2) Click SELECT

1ErfgEn.jpg

3) Click CONTINUE

q7wTy4S.jpg

4) Click CHECKOUT

T76kTav.jpg

5) Click PayPal Payments Standard, click I have read and agree..., click CONTINUE

yZlzESO.jpg

6) Click PayPal image

jhTX5kx.jpg

7) enter SOMETHING into name, fill in Email and PayPal password, click Log In

Gby1830.jpg

8) Click Pay Now

idymKVM.jpg

9) And now what? If I click Go to PayPal account, it goes to the paypal account, but I would like the user to be sent back. The payment is done if we check the paypal account.

Now interesting is that Blesta sends email to the client and I believe it was just after step 5). This email is Invoice Due email. What is even more interesting that this email contains Pay Now (No login required) link and if that is clicked:

10) After clicking Pay Now in email:

PUwwXCF.jpg

11) Click PayPal Payments Standard and then REVIEW AND CONFIRM

UdtdtwK.jpg

12) Here I am not sure why there is Subscribe button. I am quite sure that my package was One Time payment only, no subscription allowed, so I think this might be a bug. I know that I have this "One time and subscription payments when possible" enabled under Manage PayPal Payments Standard in Company's settings, but the package does not allow subscriptions, so this should not be displayed, right?

Anyway, I clicked the PayPal image on the right.

zp8nCP1.jpg

13) I like this page much more! You can see that there is an invoice number as an item name and the user does not enter this on himself. This is good! OK, so filled Email and PayPal password and clicked Log In.

mAtM247.jpg

14) Click Pay Now

0q87Mmr.jpg

15) Hey, there is Return to <email>! Except that I do not like that there is that email, I would rather see a project name or company name there, but maybe this is just problem of my PayPal account settings, I do not know this yet. It does not really make sense to return to an email, right? Anyway, if that Return to <email> link is clicked ...

v1GOwgA.jpg

16) OK, wait 10 secs.

nD4b8At.jpg

17) Excellent, we are back. That is exactly what I was talking about.

So, this works +- OK if we use Pay Now button. There is probably a bug that Subscribe button is displayed and I do not like the email address displayed (but again, this might be just my settings), but otherwise OK.

I would like this to have this behavior in common order form so that client is not required to use Pay Now. Actually I am quite sure that the client paid for this invoice twice.

I like that item name is filled with invoice number and I like there is a way back to the client area. There is no such thing if we go through the order form.

But the main problem remains - even after payment with Pay Now button, Blesta did not recognize that the invoice has been paid.

I have that @hotmail.cz in PayPal Account Email in Manage PayPal Payments Standard in settings, I have disabled  Allow users to modify current and create new subscriptions, I have empty Page Style Name (I don't know what this is yet), I have filled in API Username, API Password and API Signature and I have enabled Developer Mode. I have 3 currencies selected including USD.

I went through PayPal's settings and could not find anything wrong there. Our business name is correctly filled in, so could you please check whether it is possible to change that appearance of the email to a company name? Most importantly in that "Return to XYZ" link because it really does not make sense to return to an email address.

Thank you for the detailed response.

I have added a task for the redirect, it should do the redirect whether you pay in the client area, or through the order system.

CORE-809 addresses the editable description

CORE-813 addresses the redirect issue

We will investigate the "Return to" name, I'm not sure how that is set.

If you have a business PayPal account, the business name set in PayPal is used on the PayPal payment page. I'm not aware of any settings available via the API for setting this, so you'll need to re-check your PayPal settings or contact PayPal support for help setting this up.

As for redirection to Blesta back from PayPal - I have found this setting in PayPal:

Auto Return for Website Payments

Auto Return: On / Off

In case selecting "On" one must fill in Return URL (Enter the URL that will be used to redirect your customers upon payment completion.)

Do I want this enabled? What would be the return URL?