Swipe Credit Card When Ordering

schug2102

I had a thought for a useful (for me) plugin / feature. When placing an oder, at the checkout step, it would be great to be able to swipe someone's credit card.

This would be particularly useful for businesses who have sales reps in the field with potential clients who want to order and pay on the spot.

The sales rep would simply pull up the order form for the new client on their iPad, fill out the info and swipe the card, adding it as a payment account.  Obviously we could just have them type in their card number to add the payment account, but people are paranoid about their info. I think swiping offers a sense of security.

Just a thought. :)

Since I use a paypal swiper to charge a few of my local clients, this is something that would actually interest me quite a bit.

But since each payment processor is going to have it's own method/api for their card readers, and for the way they process the payments from those readers it would probably require a separate module for each payment provider (this is just a guess, haven't thought very deep into what actually would be required to accomplish this).

The way I normally handle this for local clients, I use paypal to generate what they owe, they pay, and then I go into the system and manually add them, credit the payment, etc.  Having this process be automated directly from Blesta would indeed be awesome...and would put Blesta lightyears ahead of other billing software...though I have to say it should probably be low on the priority list for now :).

I'm pretty sure the card readers could just input the card number into the appropriate field in Blesta on swipe, through the browser on your device (iPad or whatever). There's a lot that can be done to support this more fully, like a mobile interface, and some tweaks with card present in mind.. but yeah, not high priority at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the card readers could just input the card number into the appropriate field in Blesta on swipe, through the browser on your device (iPad or whatever). There's a lot that can be done to support this more fully, like a mobile interface, and some tweaks with card present in mind.. but yeah, not high priority at the moment.

the issue I see with this is most of the card readers you can get only work with their specific apps (like the paypal card reader only sends the card info to the paypal app, there would be no way for it to send the info to blesta unless it could interface with the app somehow).

the issue I see with this is most of the card readers you can get only work with their specific apps (like the paypal card reader only sends the card info to the paypal app, there would be no way for it to send the info to blesta unless it could interface with the app somehow).

If they are anything like some of the USB barcode readers you can buy, they just scan and convert it into numbers and input the value into a form field.

I'm sure the proprietary ones like the paypal card reader only works with their app.. but maybe there's a generic card swiper out there,.. someplace?