Windows Flat Ui

Ken

Completely random thought... but do you ever draft up a web design and make it look amazing in every browser out there until you try anything prior to IE9 only to find that your design suddenly looks like Windows Metro?  A bunch of colored blocks.   :lol:

Hmm I wonder...  ^_^

Lol , yes. Some strange things appen on old IE but we have to live with that and make some tricks to support old browsers. We use a tool to debug on almost all browsers to try to detect and fix things :)

There isnt a perfect browser all browsers have flaws in all versions :)

I always try to keep my designs rather conservative. I've recently been developing responsive/fluid design and have had good success.

I simply just try to avoid doing too much at once, even if the client doesnt like it and demands "MOAR BUZZWORDS!". What good is it if 1/2 or more of their visitors can't see it anyway?

With that said, I also build my own side projects simply to try these new emerging technologies out. I have a longtime ongoing project I've been using in my home for the past 5 years or so. Its my own HTPC software I've built using so many different things. Originally I started with a traditional LAMP stack on a box next to my TV, running fullscreen firefox and some mime hooks to load media files into the player under the local user firefox is running on. Its been my ever evolving project in which I try out new stuff to see if I can make it work.

The latest generation is back running a slimmed version of Firefox (for Pipelight/Netflix integration) and specially configured to act more like a Kiosk, but the backend is built on node.js, which includes its own little webserver and such. Its designed in a client/server setup now so you can set up multiple "thin" clients to interact with one backend service.

One day I'll pull the wraps off it and make it an open source project but its just been something for personal use and there is literally zero documentation.

I try and make things as elegant but without using images and relying on css for a couple of reasons  First, obviously, to reduce overhead but more importantly avoid having to double size everything so that when it gets resized on a Retina screen it still looks sharp.  It's just hard to accomplish that with anything before IE9.

I just wonder if their new website/Metro UI design was influenced by their lack of browser support.

MSIE is a royal pain in the butt for all web developers. I think we've learned to despise it. Make something that looks sweet in Safari, Chrome, Firefox,.. open IE and cry.

Story of my life. I've had pretty good luck with IE9 so far so hopefully those days are passed us.  

I'm going to be supporting the same browsers as Google Apps does for any web apps such as Blesta, Freshdesk, hosting CP etc. Google Apps supports the latest and previous version of major browsers which means at the moment IE10+. The best thing about developing for IE10+ is it allows me to use the flex layout system.

For websites I usually support IE9+. I find the main problem with IE8 is the lack of media query support - it usually shows the mobile site fine though. I don't usually bother with polyfills for that sort of thing.

I think from IE8+ instead of having bugs, they just don't have so many features which is a lot better. IE11 is starting to catch up though, Microsoft have some very nice features that they are trying to get standardised like grid layout and pointer events.