Importing Clients Via Csv File?

Frank Hagan

Question

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply. I disagree about a well designed CSV import but then I come from a background where customers routinely upload CSVs of tens of thousands of contacts. But for my fledgling little business its not too big a deal, just keystrokes rather then formatting a CSV file.

Not sure if this will help you: http://stackoverflow.com/a/20877176

use a clean db and then export that and import that to blesta. But then if you've got products / services / invoices in the CSV then you'll need to wait for a plugin if someone does one for you as it's hard to do that.

I thought about importing directly into mySQL. For my scale, with about 40 customers, I think I'm probably OK just entering them manually. I'm not that fast at database operations, and there would be some time involved mapping out the tables and fields, then formatting the CSV file, then checking ... if I had a few hundred to do it would make sense. 

I would avoid inserting directly into the database. Blesta performs rule validation and error checking to ensure the data conforms to expected formats, which may not be apparent in the database schema. This may lead to issues with some information not displaying, or being used properly, if you bypass those checks.