Domains, Email & Vat

Ekim

Question

Hi

I was originally going to make use of WHMCS as our billing solution, however after having a look at Blesta and the direction it's going, I'm pretty interested.

Some issues/questions:

1) Domains. I have looked around every area of the demo but cannot find any configuration for domain registrations, nor order forms which include domain registration. I can see the eNom, Namecheap etc plugins, so presumably domain registration/renewal/transfer etc is supported but I can't see to what degree. What is the support like for domain registrations etc in Blesta? As a shared web hosting provider, this is really important to me.

2) Email. I'm guessing not, but does Blesta support the likes of Mailgun/Mandrill/Postmark for incoming (and outgoing) email? I know we can configure SMTP for the outgoing but it would be fantastic if Blesta supported 3rd party mail APIs (as is so common these days) for sending and receiving transactional email. It would be one less thing to worry about when sticking the billing system online.

3) VAT (and VAT MOSS). I've only been looking at demos and documentation so far, but it seems like Blesta has a suitable set up for VAT. My question is to people who already use Blesta within Europe (and specifically the UK), how are you finding it? Is the VAT handling fine for you? How about with the recent changes from 1st Jan?

No doubt I'll have more questions soon, but that's it for now. I'm seriously considering swerving on the "industry standard" of WHMCS and going with Blesta, I just want to make sure the decision is going to be right. I think the WHMCS codebase is pretty old and most likely suffering from code rot, which may be part of the reason they're struggling to innovate and improve the product whilst the likes of Blesta is excelling.

Update: SSL certificates. Are there integrations with providers such as eNom for selling SSL certificates? Additionally are domain add-on options such as eNoms "ID Protect" supported? I'd love it if someone could point me to documentation which shows exactly what is supported for each third party service plugin.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

1) Domains. I have looked around every area of the demo but cannot find any configuration for domain registrations, nor order forms which include domain registration. I can see the eNom, Namecheap etc plugins, so presumably domain registration/renewal/transfer etc is supported but I can't see to what degree. What is the support like for domain registrations etc in Blesta? As a shared web hosting provider, this is really important to me.

You can make a domain order form you have to use the type: Domain and other and select it from the dropdown box. If you use the Trial 30 days you can see it in action.

2) Email. I'm guessing not, but does Blesta support the likes of Mailgun/Mandrill/Postmark for incoming (and outgoing) email? I know we can configure SMTP for the outgoing but it would be fantastic if Blesta supported 3rd party mail APIs (as is so common these days) for sending and receiving transactional email. It would be one less thing to worry about when sticking the billing system online.

Blesta supports SMTP so if you using that you should be fine, but there's so special plugin for MailGun or Mandrill etc, but you could open a feature request for this.

3) VAT (and VAT MOSS). I've only been looking at demos and documentation so far, but it seems like Blesta has a suitable set up for VAT. My question is to people who already use Blesta within Europe (and specifically the UK), how are you finding it? Is the VAT handling fine for you? How about with the recent changes from 1st Jan?

You can set-up tax rules for each country in Blesta which makes life easier for you but I've not tried it yet.

Update: SSL certificates. Are there integrations with providers such as eNom for selling SSL certificates? Additionally are domain add-on options such as eNoms "ID Protect" supported? I'd love it if someone could point me to documentation which shows exactly what is supported for each third party service plugin.

Not yet, there's TheSSLStore and GoGetSSL, with third party SSLGuru modules, NameCheap's SSL is coming soon as in the module there's a to-do list.

Ok, thanks for the information.

I had a chance to browse around the forums a lot on my phone today. It looks like more advanced domain management is potentially on its way in the near future, which would be fantastic. Additionally there seems to be a lot of talk about EU accounting which is great, I have actually learned one or two things from these forums which I should have known already. It seems that Blesta is making improvements and catering for businesses in Europe with the likes of pro forma invoices, so that's fantastic and speaks volumes.

I'm definitely wanting to go with Blesta now, just have to make sure it's suitable for the job. I guess the best way is to get it installed and have a play around properly, which I will do soon.

Ok, thanks for the information.

I had a chance to browse around the forums a lot on my phone today. It looks like more advanced domain management is potentially on its way in the near future, which would be fantastic. Additionally there seems to be a lot of talk about EU accounting which is great, I have actually learned one or two things from these forums which I should have known already. It seems that Blesta is making improvements and catering for businesses in Europe with the likes of pro forma invoices, so that's fantastic and speaks volumes.

I'm definitely wanting to go with Blesta now, just have to make sure it's suitable for the job. I guess the best way is to get it installed and have a play around properly, which I will do soon.

Great that we see more and more EU business using Blesta :) this way we can grow faster and add more features to it :)