Allow Encryption Key To Be Changed

srn

It is not uncommon for people to accidentally check in sensitive information such as database logins and API keys (x-ref http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/ubers-epic-db-blunder-is-hardly-an-exception-github-is-awash-in-passwords/) and the blesta encryption key is almost as sensitive. I think there should really be a script that uses the old key and a newly generated key and descrypts/re-encrypts the data in the database.

Not a fan, because if someone get's your database some how, installs blesta, all they need to do is run that script to change the key and then they have everything in the database.

They need your old encryption key, if they have that and your database you are screwed anyways.

They need your old encryption key, if they have that and your database you are screwed anyways.

True but you don't want to have something which is vital to your system to be changed the only reason this would be a good idea is if you are merging two databases to one. Blesta to Blesta installation so you don't have two sets of encryption.

True but you don't want to have something which is vital to your system to be changed the only reason this would be a good idea is if you are merging two databases to one. Blesta to Blesta installation so you don't have two sets of encryption.

Do you ever change your password?  To me this could be the same principal.

Another reason I see is if someone gained access to my system but my database was safe I would need to change my encryption key for security reasons.

Having a tool, not normally uploaded to your live system, available would be nice to have.

Not a high priority for the blesta team, I don't think, as anyone (developer) should be able to create a tool to do this as blesta doesn't hide how it does encryption.

Do you ever change your password?  To me this could be the same principal.

Another reason I see is if someone gained access to my system but my database was safe I would need to change my encryption key for security reasons.

Having a tool, not normally uploaded to your live system, available would be nice to have.

Not a high priority for the blesta team, I don't think, as anyone (developer) should be able to create a tool to do this as blesta doesn't hide how it does encryption.

Passwords are different, an encryption key only works for encrypting the database hashes. As you stated you need both otherwise they are useless. A password gains access to whatever you use it for.

Passwords are different, an encryption key only works for encrypting the database hashes. As you stated you need both otherwise they are useless. A password gains access to whatever you use it for.

You are correct, it was a bad analogy.

My overall opinion stands though