Name Ideas

Bit Bayou

I'm curious to know how you come up with your names for products, services, and/or business?

Does anyone have a method, or is it completely by chance that names happen?

Do you come up with like 10 of your top favorites and then pick one? 

Do you get drunk and just start spitting "crap" out until one sticks?

I mean, why is Blesta called Blesta? Why is your hosting company called what ever it's called?

I'm trying to come up with a name for a local tech meetup, and I'm drawing blanks! haha, so I figured why not discuss the issue!

My current favorite idea is that our country+area code is 1337 -- which spells leet ;) Either way, NAMES. Why and how do they happen?

Blesta I believe Paul said it was because of Blessed and Stable (http://staging.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/314-blesta/#entry2055)

And I saw a competitor (SimplexWebs) and simplex is a mathematical word and I thought I'd browse wikipedia for easy, catchy mathematical words and Cubic was listed and I thought to myself.. Cubic-Webs sounds very catchy. So then I checked the whois on WHM** and saw it was available so I brought it.

Plans, well I thought I'd try and be clever.

Shared Hosting needs to be simple. So I came up with the most simplest names ever, Basic, Starter, Business and Business Plus (Just to make it sound better).

Enterprise Hosting, I went a bit different, I was playing need for speed on my PS3 and thought to myself, Supercharged / Turbocharged cars and that stuck and as for Premier I got it from Premier inn. Enterprise Plus again same as the Business to give it that little bit more.

Again Resellers is too long itself and I wanted it simple so the One, Two, Three and Extra (A little bit extra) =]

For building brands, I love names that have no inherent meaning. Fake words, but easily pronounceable. It reduces consumer confusion between your product and anything else, if they have heard of it, they have heard of your product. Also, stay away from acronyms, they are almost always a mouthful and often need explanation.