Cpanel Module Not Functioning Properly

ATS Larry

Question

When I setup an account from the admin area and apply it, it successfully sets up the account on the server, however Blesta doesn't appear to be getting a reply from cPanel about it completing successfully and it produces this error:

An internal error occurred, or the server did not respond to the request.

As seen here:

http://screencast.com/t/iJScQI4MJ

Here's also a screenshot of the log:

http://screencast.com/t/vTssnEh3rTH

This was happening on my previous installation and I reinstalled Blesta and it still is occurring.

What do I need to do to get this working properly?  I have all necessary ports opened on the firewalls on my website server and also on the cPanel server so that they can communicate.  Both systems are using CSF Firewall.

I also want to add that I have also disabled firewalls on BOTH servers and tested this and found that the issue is NOT with the firewalls.  So it's something with the Blesta and cPanel communication.

Regards,

Larry

16 answers to this question

I'm so fed up with so many issues that I'm having to work through with this billing software and error after error, problem after problem with it.  I mean come on, enough is enough.  Then I have to sit around and wait for responses to these issues which causes me a great deal of aggravation and lots of wasted time having to always wait on support responses to these issues.  What gives?!

Well firstly, I've never seen this issue before so I don't think it's a Blesta issue. Since most of my customers I know use that module and myself I use both cPanel modules.

Secondly, if it's important and effecting you and you want a fast reply, I suggest opening a ticket and giving the team access to your install / ftp to see what the issue is.

Based on the lack of output in the module log, Blesta likely either did not receive a response from cPanel or does not understand it. Does the domain actually get setup in cPanel?

@Tyson

The first line of my original reply answers your question, as I have re-quoted below.

"When I setup an account from the admin area and apply it, it successfully sets up the account on the server, however Blesta doesn't appear to be getting a reply from cPanel about it."

Thanks!

@Tyson

The first line of my original reply answers your question, as I have re-quoted below.

Thanks!

Sounds like a firewall issue. cPanel communicates over port 2087, so you're Blesta server or its firewall is likely blocking ingress from port 2087, or you have a mod security or some other software firewall blocking the types of responses sent from cPanel.

Sounds like a firewall issue. cPanel communicates over port 2087, so you're Blesta server or its firewall is likely blocking ingress from port 2087, or you have a mod security or some other software firewall blocking the types of responses sent from cPanel.

I have 2086 and 2087 open for inbound and outbound on both firewalls.  I have disabled mod_security on BOTH servers and the issue is still happening.

Just for kicks, I disabled BOTH server's firewalls and the issue is STILL happening.

So, not a port issue, not a firewall issue, not a mod_security issue.

Anything else?

I'm so fed up with so many issues that I'm having to work through with this billing software and error after error, problem after problem with it.  I mean come on, enough is enough.  Then I have to sit around and wait for responses to these issues which causes me a great deal of aggravation and lots of wasted time having to always wait on support responses to these issues.  What gives?!

Let it be a couple of lessons learned:

1.  It's not a plug & play provisioning system and if you find one that is then let me know (you won't find one)

2.  Try to allow yourself enough time for proper testing so that you don't put yourself in an embarrassing situation (advice the White House should have taken as it were)

Lastly.. so you know, I am empathizing here.  :)

What do you see in the logs under [Tools] > [Logs] > [Module], for the request? If it's blank per your screenshot then Blesta isn't getting the response from cPanel. It's an issue with your firewall or your server.

Yes, it's just showing the server hostname in the reply box.  No other information.  It's the same error as shown in my screenshot.

What are some things that I can check on the server side to try to drill down to this?  I have root access.

Regards,

Larry

Let it be a couple of lessons learned:

1.  It's not a plug & play provisioning system and if you find one that is then let me know (you won't find one)

2.  Try to allow yourself enough time for proper testing so that you don't put yourself in an embarrassing situation (advice the White House should have taken as it were)

Lastly.. so you know, I am empathizing here.   :)

Ken,

While I appreciate your response, I need some reason answer's, not funny guy answers.  

1.  Yes, it's supposed to be a plug and play system, where you put in your credentials and it works.  I shouldn't have to spend an infinity number of hours 'troubleshooting' a system to try to get it to work.  I didn't have to do that with WHMCS.  It just worked.

2.  I've allowed myself MANY hours now and keep hitting, issue after issue, after issue with this system.  I mean, seriously.  Enough is enough.

Lastly.... my WHMCS system works just fine with the automated provisioning.  So therefore why won't Blesta work?  I don't get that logic, since WHMCS works with the autoprovisioning just fine, but Blesta won't work with the same server and same credentials.

Therefore, that tells me that it's a Blesta module issue.

Is there any way that I can turn on some better debugging or something to try to determine what is going on and why it's erroring?  Obviously the logs are't helping, because there's nothing replying back to Blesta, it appears.

I cleared /var/log/messages on both servers, so I could get a clean log of what is happening with both servers and the only thing I see is this on the cPanel server:

root@sharkbite [/var/log]# tail messages
Dec 10 23:23:19 sharkbite named[668]: zone larrybraziel.com/IN/internal: sending notifies (serial 2013121001)
Dec 10 23:23:19 sharkbite named[668]: zone larrybraziel.com/IN/external: sending notifies (serial 2013121001)
Dec 10 23:23:19 sharkbite named[668]: client 142.54.189.121#9648: view internal: received notify for zone 'larrybraziel.com'
Dec 10 23:23:20 sharkbite named[668]: received control channel command 'reload larrybraziel.com IN external'
Dec 10 23:23:20 sharkbite named[668]: zone larrybraziel.com/IN/external: loaded serial 2013121002
Dec 10 23:23:20 sharkbite named[668]: received control channel command 'reload larrybraziel.com IN internal'
Dec 10 23:23:20 sharkbite named[668]: zone larrybraziel.com/IN/internal: loaded serial 2013121002
Dec 10 23:23:24 sharkbite named[668]: zone larrybraziel.com/IN/internal: sending notifies (serial 2013121002)
Dec 10 23:23:24 sharkbite named[668]: zone larrybraziel.com/IN/external: sending notifies (serial 2013121002)
Dec 10 23:23:24 sharkbite named[668]: client 142.54.189.121#48193: view internal: received notify for zone 'larrybraziel.com'

This just simple shows some DNS being created and reloaded.

I also found this in the cPanel error logs:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/lbraziel/.zamfoo': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/lbraziel/migration': File exists
[2013-12-10 23:27:18 +0300] info [cpanellogd] Invalid legacy backup directory "/": Invalid value for <span class="code">BACKUPDIR</span>.
[12/10/2013:20:30:01 -0000] info [cpsrvd] reloading config based on -HUP signal

I also found this in /var/log/secure:

Dec 10 23:14:17 sharkbite groupadd[8640]: group added to /etc/group: name=lbraziel, GID=568
Dec 10 23:14:17 sharkbite groupadd[8640]: group added to /etc/gshadow: name=lbraziel
Dec 10 23:14:17 sharkbite groupadd[8640]: new group: name=lbraziel, GID=568
Dec 10 23:14:17 sharkbite useradd[8644]: new user: name=lbraziel, UID=568, GID=568, home=/home/lbraziel, shell=/usr/local/cpanel/bin/noshell
Dec 10 23:22:32 sharkbite userdel[10042]: delete user 'lbraziel'
Dec 10 23:22:32 sharkbite userdel[10042]: removed group 'lbraziel' owned by 'lbraziel'
Dec 10 23:23:17 sharkbite groupadd[10223]: group added to /etc/group: name=lbraziel, GID=569
Dec 10 23:23:17 sharkbite groupadd[10223]: group added to /etc/gshadow: name=lbraziel
Dec 10 23:23:17 sharkbite groupadd[10223]: new group: name=lbraziel, GID=569
Dec 10 23:23:17 sharkbite useradd[10227]: new user: name=lbraziel, UID=569, GID=569, home=/home/lbraziel, shell=/usr/local/cpanel/bin/noshell

None of these logs are of any help or tell me what is going on.  It looks like it's all working properly from the cPanel side of things.

Any other logs I can peak in for an idea of what is happening?

Thanks,
Larry

Ken,

While I appreciate your response, I need some reason answer's, not funny guy answers.  

1.  Yes, it's supposed to be a plug and play system, where you put in your credentials and it works.  I shouldn't have to spend an infinity number of hours 'troubleshooting' a system to try to get it to work.  I didn't have to do that with WHMCS.  It just worked.

2.  I've allowed myself MANY hours now and keep hitting, issue after issue, after issue with this system.  I mean, seriously.  Enough is enough.

Sounds like you can use a little humor in your stressful day.

Yes, the module is plug & play but it's a web application.  There is a stack of applications, servers, networks and other variables behind it that are contingent on your ability to configure your system and read documentation.  Since we're on the subject of documentation, you failed to read it on the last thread.  It was not a Blesta issue yet in this thread you insinuate that your previous problems have been.

Once you double posted with a Blesta flame you ended it with "What gives?!" and I just told you.  You need to take the proper steps to ensure your system is working before putting it in production.

Lastly your statements about WHMCS are inaccurate as their users have a slew of problems daily and they have security issues on a regular basis to the point that there are repos dedicated to patching up it's flaws.  You can shoot the messenger all you want but until you figure out what the problem is I would reserve blame if I were you.

Lastly.... my WHMCS system works just fine with the automated provisioning.  So therefore why won't Blesta work?  I don't get that logic, since WHMCS works with the autoprovisioning just fine, but Blesta won't work with the same server and same credentials.

Therefore, that tells me that it's a Blesta module issue.

Not being funny but it can't be a Blesta module issue, else you wouldn't be the only one to date with the issue. WHM** might work, but that's bad coding practices so you never know it could be so bad that it works, and knowing their history probably exploitable.

Any other logs I can peak in for an idea of what is happening?

Where are your logs from the Blesta server?  Tail Blesta's webserver logs while provisioning and if you don't get anything there then check firewall logs.  If you still get nothing then go back to the cPanel and check any outbound connection logs from there.

I suggest trying a different cPanel server entirely. The logs are pretty clear, Blesta is not receiving a response from your cPanel server. Maybe the other guys assume no response means success, I don't know.. but Blesta can't consider the account creation successful unless cPanel says it was.

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/lbraziel/.zamfoo': File exists

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/lbraziel/migration': File exists

Was the username of the new account lbraziel? Are you using zamfoo? If so, I'd suggest removing that software ASAP, it's an abandoned project riddled with security vulnerabilities that could take down your entire cPanel server.. it may even be contributing to the issue here.