Looking Ahead To 3.2.. Responsive Bootstrap Client Area

Paul

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the bootstrap conversion so far?

• Looks awesome, can't wait for 3.2!
    • Pretty cool.
    • It's ok.
    • Terrible.

But wouldn't it be fair to say that now you have "ported" the client area to BS3 that taking a deep breathe and looking at the admin area is a wee bit more feasible now? :-)

I disagree, admin side is amazing the way it is, only the admins will be using it. However I've noticed my brands get a lot of visitors using Tablets and Phones, so it's important that the frontend caters for them else you can loose orders. I believe the guys have the same sort of customers and that's what triggered the bootstrap client area.

WHM** you mentioned is already on bootstrap from 5.x.x which is on Bootstrap 2. so upgrading it wasn't much effort, and their admin area you only edit a few files header & footer and a css file. 

Blesta however is built with loads of functions to make it work, boxes, widgets, navs, etc everything piles up and it will take a lot of man hours to do it.

admin side is amazing the way it is, only the admins will be using it

And ideally also by phone and tablet... one day. I have no idea how complex Blesta is under the hood but in looking at the admin area there is the LHS nav area and the main section to the right. If the LHS nav was lifted out of the main page up to dropdown menus in (for me) a top fixed BS3 navbar then that would leave the rest of the already nice looking main section only needing obvious rows of widgets minimally wrapped in table-responsive divs so they do not collapse awkwardly on a narrow screen. In other words a "good enough" mobile friendly admin interface may be possible without having to completely redo everything.

admin side is amazing the way it is, only the admins will be using it

And ideally also by phone and tablet... one day. I have no idea how complex Blesta is under the hood but in looking at the admin area there is the LHS nav area and the main section to the right. If the LHS nav was lifted out of the main page up to dropdown menus in (for me) a top fixed BS3 navbar then that would leave the rest of the already nice looking main section only needing obvious rows of widgets minimally wrapped in table-responsive divs so they do not collapse awkwardly on a narrow screen. In other words a "good enough" mobile friendly admin interface may be possible without having to completely redo everything.

Just the javascript and everything else not visible :)

Just the javascript and everything else not visible

But as I said, and I know not what I say, large sections of the main page could remain as they are with minimal added class=row wrappers and class=table-responsive around any tables to prevent them collapsing. I would imagine that the LHS nav section is governed by a similar set of rules for the whole nav section, and that would take some work to modifiy, but once that pattern was worked out it could be re-applied to most pages. So working on the LHS nav is one job, applying row and table-responsive class divs is another and not much else needs to be changed (says I not having even done a view-source on any page!) Compared to the whmcs structural layout mess, Blesta looks like it could be delightfully consistent to modify once the right approach was worked out.

I can't wait for 3.2!

Are we close to beta?

Cody is working on finishing up the conversion of the order form to bootstrap. Then he is going to implement the new ajax order template that I created, which looks great btw. Then beta will start.

The new order form has comparison boxes or a slider for package selection. I think most people will use the new one.

Cody is working on finishing up the conversion of the order form to bootstrap. Then he is going to implement the new ajax order template that I created, which looks great btw. Then beta will start.

The new order form has comparison boxes or a slider for package selection. I think most people will use the new one.

Sounds awesome Paul!!

Really looking forward to it! I will certainly be interested in the beta, and alpha if their is one.