Change Max Execution Time Limit

PhatPixel

Question

I've found TCPDF to be running quite slowly... it takes around 15 seconds or more to generate a PDF.  Are there any suggestions to speed up TCPDF or increase the PHP maximum execution time?  When I try to process multiple PDFs I am receiving the error "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded on line 5404 in ~/httpdocs/vendors/tcpdf/tcpdf.php"

In reading TCPDF's website, it makes the following recommendations to speed things up.  Any tips on how to implement any of these that would be useful to Blesta?

• Install and configure a PHP opcode cacher like XCache;
  • Edit the php.ini file and increase the maximum amount of memory a script may consume (memory_limit);
  • Edit the php.ini file and increase the maximum execution time of each script (max_execution_time);
  • Edit the config/tcpdf_config.php file: manually set the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'], K_PATH_MAIN and K_PATH_URL constants, and remove the automatic calculation part;
  • If you are not using the Thai language, edit the config/tcpdf_config.php file and set the K_THAI_TOPCHARS constant to false;
  • If you do not need extended chars, edit the config/tcpdf_config.php file and set the default fonts to core fonts;
  • If you do not need UTF-8 Unicode, set the $unicode parameter on TCPDF constructor to false and the $encoding parameter to 'ISO-8859-1' or other character map.
  • By default TCPDF enables font subsetting to reduce the size of embedded Unicode TTF fonts, this process, that is very slow and requires a lot of memory, can be turned off using setFontSubsetting(false) method;
  • Use core fonts instead of embedded fonts whenever possible;
  • Avoid using the HTML syntax (writeHTML and writeHTMLCell methods) if not strictly required;
  • Split large HTML blocks in smaller pieces;
  • Avoid using transactions if not strictly required;

4 answers to this question

Blesta doesn't use HTML syntax to render PDFs and I've never seen it take 15 seconds. It it instant for me.

Do you have a logo or background image uploaded for your PDFs? If so, remove them and see if it speeds it up any. If it does make a difference, you could try optimizing the images, and adding them back in to see if that makes a difference. Also, make sure you have the GD library if using images in the PDF -- TCPDF sometimes tries to call GD to manipulate images.

Blesta doesn't use HTML syntax to render PDFs and I've never seen it take 15 seconds. It it instant for me.

Do you have a logo or background image uploaded for your PDFs? If so, remove them and see if it speeds it up any. If it does make a difference, you could try optimizing the images, and adding them back in to see if that makes a difference. Also, make sure you have the GD library if using images in the PDF -- TCPDF sometimes tries to call GD to manipulate images.

It's instant for me also. Sounds like some php.ini issues

Yes, I am using both a background image as well as a logo.  Both images are optimised PNGs from PhotoShop.  I'll try placing the logo on the background image to see if that halves the processing time.  In the meantime, is there a way to extend the PHP max execution time?  I have tried with .htaccess and it is either being ignored or replaced by a directive in a config file.