Documentation

Mike

Question

18 answers to this question

Can you explain some of those new features?  At the moment I'm bouncing back and forth between WHMCS and Blesta, reasoning for that is WHMCS is so much easier to use than Blesta but that may be due to experience.  The ordering system with Blesta is also quite strange but I guess it's just down to experience than anything else.

Configurable Options, Multicraft

What is strange about the order system? We get compared to WHMCS a lot, which is to be expected. Most complaints are because we just don't do things the same as they do, and that's what people are use to. We're working on improving features that are not as good as they could be, like domain registrations.

Can you explain some of those new features?  At the moment I'm bouncing back and forth between WHMCS and Blesta, reasoning for that is WHMCS is so much easier to use than Blesta but that may be due to experience.  The ordering system with Blesta is also quite strange but I guess it's just down to experience than anything else.

Domain features, the domain plugin is being re-vamped to have a table for register, transfer, renew, privacy protection as a addon... You need to remember Whm** has been around since 2005 building on the same insecure core since day one when Matt was learning PHP. Blesta 3.x was started just over a year ago, before that there was Blesta  2.5 which is full of features which you can see a full documentation here: http://74.80.216.101/manual/Main_Page

That isn't all it should be though.  People shouldn't have to revert to a community or support every time they are stuck with something, that is what documentation is for.

"Rome wasn't done in a day" best quote ever.

Configurable Options, Multicraft

What is strange about the order system? We get compared to WHMCS a lot, which is to be expected. Most complaints are because we just don't do things the same as they do, and that's what people are use to. We're working on improving features that are not as good as they could be, like domain registrations.

It's not so much because it's not the same, that is to be expected.  I love Blesta's flexibility and security but I tried to add a configurable option for SSL's the other day, I assigned it all correctly as it should be but when I go to the product, the option wasn't shown.  I tried doing it with a lot of different products (SSL wise) and it just wouldn't work.  This was with GoGetSSL, which I've now decided to change over to TheSSLStore, which I see was built by a 3rd party or sponsored by them but now their site is down and I have a feeling the plugin could be outdated with no sight with it improving, the order form looks exactly the same from GGSSL to TheSSLStore.

Another thing that is quite annoying is that there are NO email templates provided for anything except system calls, I get that Blesta is a billing/support system but this is one major time-saver with WHMCS that email templates are provided from the get go without having to manually write them all for each product, i.e. a lot of copy/pasting required.

It's just strange lol, please don't take offense.

Domain features, the domain plugin is being re-vamped to have a table for register, transfer, renew, privacy protection as a addon... You need to remember Whm** has been around since 2005 building on the same insecure core since day one when Matt was learning PHP. Blesta 3.x was started just over a year ago, before that there was Blesta  2.5 which is full of features which you can see a full documentation here: http://74.80.216.101/manual/Main_Page

"Rome wasn't done in a day" best quote ever.

If you are going to release a feature, make sure the docs are complete for it before releasing it.  You wouldn't see Apple or Microsoft release a new version of their OS without documentation to back it up, is all.

It's not so much because it's not the same, that is to be expected.  I love Blesta's flexibility and security but I tried to add a configurable option for SSL's the other day, I assigned it all correctly as it should be but when I go to the product, the option wasn't shown.  I tried doing it with a lot of different products (SSL wise) and it just wouldn't work.  This was with GoGetSSL, which I've now decided to change over to TheSSLStore, which I see was built by a 3rd party or sponsored by them but now their site is down and I have a feeling the plugin could be outdated with no sight with it improving, the order form looks exactly the same from GGSSL to TheSSLStore.

Chances are the configurable option price and currency didn't match the term being ordered for the package. If there is no match, the option won't be displayed. For example, if you have a 1 month, and a 6 month term for the package, but only set a 1 month price for the configurable option, and a user selects the 6 month term, the configurable option won't be displayed because no pricing is defined.

We will be maintaining the GoGetSSL and TheSSLStore modules moving forward, and have some feature changes planned. I don't like how you have to enter all the details during checkout, the client should be able to just order and pay for the certificate without having to enter any details, and then login and add their CSR, etc afterward. So, that's a change that will be happening.

Another thing that is quite annoying is that there are NO email templates provided for anything except system calls, I get that Blesta is a billing/support system but this is one major time-saver with WHMCS that email templates are provided from the get go without having to manually write them all for each product, i.e. a lot of copy/pasting required.

It's just strange lol, please don't take offense.

This is actually planned, see CORE-261. In the interim, we try to add sample emails to the documentation.

In Blesta, the welcome email for a particular service/module is provided to the package. So, when selecting a module for a package, this feature would pre-fill out the welcome email to help save some time.

In 3.3, we're also adding a "Copy Package" feature, which is complete. It lets you copy an existing package, tweak it around, and save it as a new package. This should eliminate a lot of copy/paste, since most of the time people offer packages that are very similar to one another.

The configuration options had the correct term ranges if I remember correctly.  The current SSL order form seems to be for generating a CSR, which isn't needed.  It would also be very trouble for customers ordering, having to enter that information twice, once for SSL and second for their account.

When is 3.3.x likely to be released?  Do you know when TheSSLStore is likely to be updated?  (moved to them over GGSSL as TheSSLStore provides a lot more assistance with marketing etc than that of GGSSL, the support is also a lot quicker.

The main reason why I'm bouncing between WHMCS and Blesta is mainly because if something I need is missing in Blesta, I don't have any development skills past basic HTML/CSS so it would cost me a fortune to improve Blesta as needed.  It has all the basic needs but other bits that differ between the two platforms is sometimes too much and would require development, although some features are in the pipeline to be released, sometimes a few months is too far away when the easier option is to switch over to a system that has the functionality already.

I've used both and had no issues with either module.

If you are going to release a feature, make sure the docs are complete for it before releasing it.  You wouldn't see Apple or Microsoft release a new version of their OS without documentation to back it up, is all.

Erm right... fair enough but if you're going by that, I expect a system to at least try to cut corners because php.net removed the function register_global... which WHM** did and was one of the reasons the big exploits happened.

I've used both and had no issues with either module.

Erm right... fair enough but if you're going by that, I expect a system to at least try to cut corners because php.net removed the function register_global... which WHM** did and was one of the reasons the big exploits happened.

Blesta and WHMCS are equally good systems, of course corners can be cut, hence why WHMCS is buggy and insecure at times, however, WHMCS could be much better if it followed proper security policies which they don't, however, it's very rare you hear of an exploit in WHMCS with all of it's insecurities.

Blesta and WHMCS are equally good systems, of course corners can be cut, hence why WHMCS is buggy and insecure at times, however, WHMCS could be much better if it followed proper security policies which they don't, however, it's very rare you hear of an exploit in WHMCS with all of it's insecurities.

You missed the fun 2013 before they put in a bounty system then. http://blog.whmcs.com/security.php

No no, I remember.  As I mentioned, it's insecure and you'd think partnering with cPanel it would have improved dramatically but didn't.  What I'm getting at is if WHMCS was as secure as Blesta, WHMCS would win hands down without a doubt.  Right now WHMCS wins on features but Blesta wins on Security.

The configuration options had the correct term ranges if I remember correctly.  The current SSL order form seems to be for generating a CSR, which isn't needed.  It would also be very trouble for customers ordering, having to enter that information twice, once for SSL and second for their account.

I'm happy to take a look if you want to PM or email details.

When is 3.3.x likely to be released?  Do you know when TheSSLStore is likely to be updated?  (moved to them over GGSSL as TheSSLStore provides a lot more assistance with marketing etc than that of GGSSL, the support is also a lot quicker.

3.3 beta will hopefully be out by the end of this month. I don't have an ETA on the SSL module updates, but if it happens after 3.3 is released  we'll post to the forums where you can download.

Do you have Platinum or better pricing from TheSSLStore? We have coupon codes to lock in that pricing.

I'm actually getting custom pricing setup from what I got at GoGetSSL, since their Platinum Pricing is considerably higher than GoGetSSL.  The only reason I'm moving to TheSSLStore is because they provide marketing assistance and 24/7 true support whereas GGSSL don't provide any of that and support is slow.

Over at GGSSL I was a Platinum Partner.

If I added all of the domain extensions as products, what would happen when this is changed in 3.3.x?

Hello Mike,

Thank you to join here.I was witch from WHMCS for security reason. Besta is great because it open source and fast support.and their forum is active and all member try to help each other.So.when you join here you will no a alone.

WHM**  has more feature and many docs.but you have to think 1st about security and stability.when your system on problem then many more feature wll not work.you have to look what you need dont look all of feature. Also blesta team no sitting as lazy they working day or night to make better feature.yes they have luck their domain and some other feature.They are working on it.We have to wait or we can make module for that because it,s open source.

you are always welcome to Feature Requests and if it popular or need to add blesta then blesta team will develop for us.

http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/forum/11-feature-requests/

What is your option.