The Package Could Not Be Deleted Because A Service Is Currently Using It.

garybarr

Question

I am trying to clean house on packages that are no longer used... However, when I try to delete them, I get "The package could not be deleted because a service is currently using it." and it won't let me delete it.  I then added a new package just to test it, tried to immediately delete it, but still I get that message on even the newly created package.  Am I missing something?

Part 2:  Is there a way to find out if someone is using a package?  Like if I want to delete XYZ Package, is there a way to make sure nobody is under that plan first?  It looks like the previous problem is trying to tell me someone is using the package and refusing to delete...  However, as I explained, it's blocking it even when nobody is using the package.

4 answers to this question

I agree that It's annoying; and even If you leave the package and delete the term which Is In use It doesn't accept. It would be nice If we would have an option to assign a new package or term on deleting a package/term which is in use.

But As for your second point do you have canceled services which once used that package?

Yeah, I wondered about that... So I guess you are saying, if the Package EVER had a subscriber, it can't be deleted, it has to be turned inactive instead and stay there forever?

It still would be nice to be able to find out who, if anyone, is active on that package.  I assume if I don't know about someone and inactivate it, they stop getting billed...  I would love to know so I could close out an old package, but be able to move them to a new one first.

We don't want to delete data that can have adverse effects on other areas of the system, so we prevent its deletion, and it should be marked inactive instead. We may revisit this in the future to allow packages to be deleted if we can avoid the data loss for attached services in an acceptable manner.

As for finding the services, you should be able to use the Smart or Service search in the admin interface to search by the package name in order to receive a list of services, or clients that use that service, respectively.