Company Length May Not Exceed 64 Characters.

hadzo

Question

13 answers to this question

Trying to add a client with a quite lengthy copany name. Getting error Company length may not exceed 64 characters. May I just say WTF? :)

A company name longer than 64 letters? what the hell!

So it's this long: vbnvqkrdvixlbojwuwkdqftamsofzneemfufrnbmqmckrdhjbyghoqrnqwuooure

or vbnvqkrdvixlb jwuwkdqftamsofzn emfufrnbmqmckrd jbyghoqrnqwuooure

I've never in my entire life known a company name that big.

So it's this long: vbnvqkrdvixlbojwuwkdqftamsofzneemfufrnbmqmckrdhjbyghoqrnqwuooure

It's is a common practice with law offices to add their last names as they join the practice.....

Read this http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/01/03/the-longest-law-firm-name-ever-part-ii/

It's is a common practice with law offices to add their last names as they join the practice.....

Never heard of that, over here they are part of a company not add their name to a classroom list: 

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/

http://www.superlawyers.co.uk/

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/

http://rosenblatt-law.co.uk/

I wouldn't call this a bug since that was the intended character limit for that field, but perhaps it needs to be increased. Usually for something that long it may be better to truncate (or use an acronym for) the company name.

How many characters are in that client's company name?

I would probably just truncate it and not display an error. There has to be some reasonable limit, and this is the first time anyone has mentioned the 64 character limitation. I am curious what the name is (Or a pseudo of the name). Long company names are generally shortened for marketing purposes. I doubt they answer the phones "Good morning, you've reached the law offices of Ziffren, Brittenham, Branca, Fischer, Gilbert-Lurie, Stiffelman, Cook, Johnson, Lande & Wolf, how many I direct your call?"

115 characters - Like I said it is a joined law office of several lawyers and as I recall law offices are not standard companies. Every lawyer's name is important as they bring in clients and skills...as I said before law offices are differently regulated and standard corporate laws for companies do not apply as I am informed. For example when several lawyers join to make a joint practice they submit a request to "The Council of Competition" which grants ad doesn't grant the merger....again I am no expert on this subject, all I am trying is to say it might be required by law to have all lawyer's name included on the bill. 

I wouldn't want to phone that lawyers or email them. Maybe by mail it's per lawyer. It's not required by any law because I would have heard of it since I watch a lot of law stuff to make sure I don't don't break the law.

If you want that you might as-well make a contact account per lawyer so they all have an account to them or use the initials like RMFSAQ.

See: https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/practice-notes/setting-up-a-practice-regulatory-requirements/

I give up.

What are you suggesting we do? Raise the limit? And if so, to what exactly? Databases have to reserve a specific amount of space for a field, the contacts.company field is varchar(64). Interestingly contacts.first_name and contacts.last_name are varchar(128), so it may be reasonable to raise the company name to the same limit.

But based on this thread, I don't know that varchar(128) would solve this.. maybe a longer company name springs up and we're back where we are now. The bottom line is that there *must* be a limit, and our goal is to simply set a reasonable one.

Paul, thanks for your reply. I did not want to get pulled too deep into further discussions. Every country has specific laws and not all of us live in US nor UK.

I reported a issue I was having as a user. It might be a bug or not. It's really up you to decide how to go further. I still think Blesta is a great piece of software.

Paul, thanks for your reply. I did not want to get pulled too deep into further discussions. Every country has specific laws and not all of us live in US nor UK.

I reported a issue I was having as a user. It might be a bug or not. It's really up you to decide how to go further. I still think Blesta is a great piece of software.

Thanks I appreciate it. I've created CORE-1623 so we can look into it further, however I suspect varchar(128) would work in this case. This would make it consistent with first and last name which are currently varchar(128) and company names tend to be naturally longer than a first or last name.