Blesta Idea And Going Public?

Bit Bayou

As I've learned in another thread, Blesta v1 wasn't versioned well and was mainly written at night..

But two questions:

1) Where did the idea come from? Did you see the need for a simpler system or was it just a "I wonder if I can do that better" kind of thing?

2) I'm sure this isn't the first thing you've programmed. Why the decision to sale it as a product VS anything else you've written or could have written?

Just curious as to the motivation behind it all!

While I don't know many programmers in person to even try to "team" with, I would like to "openly" sale a program or two one day (instead of just "custom" programs for specific, one time installs) and want to know more of the story behind this one!

As I've learned in another thread, Blesta v1 wasn't versioned well and was mainly written at night..

But two questions:

1) Where did the idea come from? Did you see the need for a simpler system or was it just a "I wonder if I can do that better" kind of thing?

Around 2003 I started writing a billing application for our own internal use, in the middle of the night at home, because nothing really existed. In 2007 we decided to turn it into a product and with Cody's help we released v1. Then we started to get more serious about it and released v2. We had limited success initially, and with v2 it started to gain some traction and we saw the potential.

The motivation for us is to showcase our abilities and to build the best software we possibly can. We think we're uniquely qualified to do it. It's not all about money for us.. if we have a choice between making more money and making better software, we will pick better software. Of course, money is nice too and allows us to do more of what we like to do but we put our best foot forward and work with integrity.

2) I'm sure this isn't the first thing you've programmed. Why the decision to sale it as a product VS anything else you've written or could have written?

We do very high end web application development for other companies, and they own the rights to the software we write. Blesta is our own product and where we want to be. I have been involved in the hosting industry since 2000, so hosting billing software is a really good fit.. it's what we know. We have lots and lots of ideas, and if we can get Blesta to where we think it can be you'll see a lot more from us. Complimentary products.

Just curious as to the motivation behind it all!

While I don't know many programmers in person to even try to "team" with, I would like to "openly" sale a program or two one day (instead of just "custom" programs for specific, one time installs) and want to know more of the story behind this one!

We learned a lot with our initial v1 release. Building an application is one thing, building a product is an entirely different beast. It's a lot more work.

Honestly, building web applications for other people is in many senses easier.. but it's not as rewarding.

Around 2003 I started writing a billing application for our own internal use, in the middle of the night at home, because nothing really existed. In 2007 we decided to turn it into a product and with Cody's help we released v1. Then we started to get more serious about it and released v2. We had limited success initially, and with v2 it started to gain some traction and we saw the potential.

Blesta is the most stable and secure billing system ever, even patrick couldn't find anything so that's a high plus. I believe Blesta is the next big thing and time will tell, well from the 14th August :) when you go live and all the orders come in.

The motivation for us is to showcase our abilities and to build the best software we possibly can. We think we're uniquely qualified to do it. It's not all about money for us.. if we have a choice between making more money and making better software, we will pick better software. Of course, money is nice too and allows us to do more of what we like to do but we put our best foot forward and work with integrity.

You already have the best software now it's time for you guys to get what you all deserve more income, more customers and a bigger image. :D

We do very high end web application development for other companies, and they own the rights to the software we write. Blesta is our own product and where we want to be. I have been involved in the hosting industry since 2000, so hosting billing software is a really good fit.. it's what we know. We have lots and lots of ideas, and if we can get Blesta to where we think it can be you'll see a lot more from us. Complimentary products.

:o Wicked can't wait but I can't wait for all your great plugins come out and I can re-sell them on ;)