Provisioning Software Advice

Stu

Question

I need some advice from the community about which direction to go...

This is what I want to do....

1: use blesta for billing and managing subscriptions

2: automatically provision VPS's from blesta

3. allow my my clients to have a control panel for their VPS

The part I am stuck on is the functionality of the control panel.

I am looking for all the usual things that most control panels offer:-

• visual representations of the traffic/disk space for their account
  • Server functions like start/stop/reboot
  • password reset
  • etc...

But on top of the usual things I want to be able to offer some one click installers for some specific software.

Does anyone have experience with making these installers? how do they work? is it php calling bash scripts on the vps? are there multiple ways they can be done?

it would probably be good to have them be able to setup an ftp account and add/remove ftp users from within the control panel too.

I have been reading up on some of the control panels out there, but I cannot find any that offer me the ability to add something like one click installers.

The closest I could find was Virtualizor with their "recipes" which could work. But I also see that virtualizor has a lot of negative feedback out there.

Now I should say, this is a new area for me so its very possible I have looked at things and missed the functionality I am looking for.

My plan is to pay a developer to work with blesta and create a custom module/control panel addon for blesta to do all of these things, but would like to have a play with some backend provsioning software first.

So should I be asking a developer to create a frontend to do this using existing software such as proxmox/solusvm/virtualizor/openstack/cpanel or some others...

or am I going in completely the wrong direction, in which case please steer me in the right direction.

I know these question are best put to the developer I'll be using (I dont have one yet), but im hoping to explore some backend software first that can do these things before anything else.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me advice :)

5 answers to this question

Well ..first if considering only Blesta as billing and menagmet/automation  I would go with SolusVM or Proxmox,for non advanced users SolusVM is better solution,you have modules for SolusVM and Proxmox built by Blesta and you can start right now.As for script auto installer for VPS panel,well I don't see any adventage of this...80% of users who will pay for VPS are developers and experienced webmasters and all of them prefer unmenaged VPS...there are some percent of market share for menaged VPS but to target them you will have to offer complete menagment and you will need more than script auto installer for that.

And when it comes to Virtualizor ,I have tested blesta modole on test node and it worked without issues..but I tested it just few days ...never started even one production node.

Here is screenshot I posted in Virtualizor theme here on forum..you can see how it looks like

virt.jpg

Thanks for the advice but I'm not planning on selling general use VPSs. 

What I'm trying to achieve is create VPSs with specific uses, that will fit the needs of the market I already have other interests in. I have already built a number manually for people always with a combination of the same software. 

This is why I want to have the one click installers, because I know what my customers will want already. 

So I am wondering which provisioning software this can be added to. 

I'm thinking a developer can add this functionality to the client control panel and have it use some bash script or Ruby rail/passenger solution or something. 

But that side of things I'm not familiar with. 

Thanks again

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Thanks for the advice but I'm not planning on selling general use VPSs. 

What I'm trying to achieve is create VPSs with specific uses, that will fit the needs of the market I already have other interests in. I have already built a number manually for people always with a combination of the same software. 

This is why I want to have the one click installers, because I know what my customers will want already. 

So I am wondering which provisioning software this can be added to. 

I'm thinking a developer can add this functionality to the client control panel and have it use some bash script or Ruby rail/passenger solution or something. 

But that side of things I'm not familiar with. 

Thanks again

Oh..my mistake,I toght you're going to sell VPSs.

you must separate between two task .

1 - a soft that will be used in your servers like solusvm, proxmox, virtualizor or any custom made solution .

2 - Blesta module that will communicate with your server soft .

you can't make a module that will create vps , install, change password as standalone, is almost impossible or practically impossible . so first you need to create a server soft that will handle the actions, and Blesta will only send that commands .