Global Custom Field

10RUPTiV

Hey guys...

What will be necessary to have custom field "global" for ALL group, instead of having to create the same custom field in all group ?

It's a pain to move a client to another client group and having to re-enter all the same information over and over for all custom field that are the "same" in both group. 

For example, we have a custom field called "Customer ID", we need it in all client group but if I move a client to another group, I need to remember the customer id value to put the same thing after changing the client group.

Custom field like this one, need to be "global" no matter which client group we use...

• 2 weeks later...

I think what may be better for something like this is to have the ability to assign multiple client groups to a single custom field. Then if you move a client between client groups that have the same custom field, the existing value will be maintained.

Multiple groups would allow more control, but what if on the "Add/Edit" custom field form, the Client Group dropdown had an "All Groups" option? I wonder how difficult it would be for such an option to be observed by the rest of the system. When fetching custom fields for a client group, fetch ones that match all/null/whatever the field is called *and* ones specific to the group.

• 4 weeks later...

Multiple groups would allow more control, but what if on the "Add/Edit" custom field form, the Client Group dropdown had an "All Groups" option? I wonder how difficult it would be for such an option to be observed by the rest of the system. When fetching custom fields for a client group, fetch ones that match all/null/whatever the field is called *and* ones specific to the group.

I need this, preferably in the way you've just described. Let me know if you want Alex to do it and get you a patch.