Auto Debit Not Working

gsupp

Question

I'm having trouble with auto debit not working. It appears Blesta doesn't attempt to bill the payment method on file, even though the customer has auto-debit enabled and a default payment account is selected (also there is only one payment account per customer). 

Encryption is NOT enabled under Settings > Company > Encryption.

I am using Stripe as the payment gateway (plugin v1.1.2) and the universal module (ver 1.1.1) on Blesta 3.0.6. The Stripe API version is 2013-12-03. 

The Blesta cron job is configured in /etc/crontab and the web interface reports "The cron last ran on Dec 31, 2013 2:05:04 PM."

The auto debit automation task is enabled (Settings > Company > Automation) and the web interface reports "Task Last Ran: Dec 31, 2013 2:00:03 PM"

If I go under Tools > Logs > Gateway, there are no log entries, except for when I manually submit payment for the customer (Clients > Browse > click client ID > Make Payment > Continue). 

Blesta is running on CentOS 6.4, PHP 5.3.3 and MySQL 5.1.69. 

"Store Card Information Offsite" is enabled under the Stripe gateway module.

Please let me know what other information would be helpful or what I'm missing here. 

Thank you,

Grant Supp

21 answers to this question

Make sure that:

1. The Auto Debit cron task is enabled under [settings] -> [Company] -> [Automation].
  2. The Auto Debit Days Before Due Date setting under [settings] -> [Company] -> [billing/Payment] -> [invoice and Charge Options] matches the date of any invoice(s) that you expect to be autodebited today. This setting can be overwritten by specific client groups under [settings] -> [Company] -> [Client Groups]. i.e. if today is Jan 8, 2014, and this setting is set to "3 days" it will attempt to auto debit the account on Jan 5, 2014.
  3. The client has Auto Debit enabled on their account profile page.
  4. The client has a payment account, and that payment account is selected for auto debit (the left radio button on the payment account listing page).
  5. The client has open invoice(s) in a currency with which the payment account (via the payment gateway) is currently set to accept.

I'm having trouble with auto debit not working. It appears Blesta doesn't attempt to bill the payment method on file, even though the customer is has auto-debit enabled and a default payment account is selected (there is only one payment account per customer). 

Encryption is NOT enabled under Settings > Company > Encryption.

I am using Stripe as the payment gateway (plugin v1.1.2) and the universal module (ver 1.1.1) on Blesta 3.0.6. The Stripe API version is 2013-12-03. 

The Blesta cron job is configured in /etc/crontab and the web interface reports "The cron last ran on Dec 31, 2013 2:05:04 PM."

The auto debit automation task is enabled (Settings > Company > Automation) and the web interface reports "Task Last Ran: Dec 31, 2013 2:00:03 PM"

If I go under Tools > Logs > Gateway, there are no log entries, except for when I manually submit payment for the customer (Clients > Browse > click client ID > Make Payment > Continue). 

Blesta is running on CentOS 6.4, PHP 5.3.3 and MySQL 5.1.69. 

"Store Card Information Offsite" is enabled under the Stripe gateway module.

Please let me know what other information would be helpful or what I'm missing here. 

Thank you,

Grant Supp

Does this happen for all customers or one customer in particular?

We had the same issue and it was due to something not being set right in the database. We were able to fix it by setting auto debit to off and then back on again on the client profile page.

Thanks! I'll try toggling the auto debit setting for all clients, unfortunately I'm not sure how to test this other than waiting until next month when everyone is supposed to be auto billed.

Anyone else run into this problem or have any suggestions?

If the payment account was created and then Stripe was changed and "Store card information offsite" was checked or unchecked then the payment account *may* need to be recreated.

Also, check the auto debit cron task log under Tools > Logs > Cron to see if there are any errors with processing auto debit. It should display which invoices should be charged and whether they were successful.

If the payment account was created and then Stripe was changed and "Store card information offsite" was checked or unchecked then the payment account *may* need to be recreated.

Also, check the auto debit cron task log under Tools > Logs > Cron to see if there are any errors with processing auto debit. It should display which invoices should be charged and whether they were successful.

"Store card information offsite" has been enabled since I first installed Blesta and configured the Stripe gateway, so I don't believe that would be causing it.

I just checked the Cron log and found the Auto Debit entry from 12/23/13, when a customer's invoice was due and they should have been auto debited. All I see is: "Attempting to auto debit open invoices. The auto debit invoices task has completed." The auto debit entry for 12/24/13 also says the same.

Under Settings > Company > Billing/Payment > Invoice and Charge Options, I have "Invoice Days Before Renewal" set to "Same Day" and "Auto Debit Days Before Due Date" set to "Same Day". "Auto Debit Exponential Backoff" is disabled and the other 5 checkboxes are enabled.

The cron log seems to indicate that there was nothing to charge. On 12/23/13, was there an invoice due on 12/23/13? When did you manually process it? If the auto debit cron runs after your invoice cron, then it wouldn't try until the next day.

Yes, invoice #108 was invoiced on 12/23/13 and also due on 12/23/13. It was manually processed on 12/30/13.

The "Create Invoice" cron is set to run at 10:05:00 and the "Auto Debit" cron runs at 14:00:00. I checked the "Auto Debit" cron log entry for the next day (12/24/13) but it also said only "Attempting to auto debit open invoices. The auto debit invoices task has completed."

The only other thing I can think of is that Auto Debit was enabled on the client profile, and that a payment account was set for auto debit. If the answer to both of these is yes, I'm not sure what the issue was unless there is a bug in here someplace.

Ok, thanks. I switched to the test API key in the Stripe module, created an invoice due today (1/2/14) for a test customer that has auto-debit enabled and a default (test) payment account set. From my understanding, they should be auto debited tomorrow 1/3/14, is that correct? I'm a little confused by: 

If the auto debit cron runs after your invoice cron, then it wouldn't try until the next day

I thought if the invoice cron ran first, it would create the invoices that the auto-debit cron would then charge. Is that not right?

Thank you for your help.

I followed up on the test customer I created and they were not billed either. All I see under the Auto Debit task in the cron log is "Attempting to auto debit open invoices. The auto debit invoices task has completed." It's like the account isn't flagged to be debited or something. Although auto debit is enabled for that customer and they have a default payment method. This is happening for all customers, none of my clients get billed automatically. I'm at a loss here. What else can be done?

That's weird what gateway isn't auto debiting? Paypal works for me. Not sure on stripe.

It's Stripe (ver 1.1.2) that I'm having trouble with. Good to know PayPal works. I know this has to work, I just can't seem to figure out what's going wrong.

It's Stripe (ver 1.1.2) that I'm having trouble with. Good to know PayPal works. I know this has to work, I just can't seem to figure out what's going wrong.

That's weird mate, we use stripe but don't think a client has it on subscription set so I've not experienced it not automatically debiting them.

Make sure that:

1. The Auto Debit cron task is enabled under [settings] -> [Company] -> [Automation].
  2. The Auto Debit Days Before Due Date setting under [settings] -> [Company] -> [billing/Payment] -> [invoice and Charge Options] matches the date of any invoice(s) that you expect to be autodebited today. This setting can be overwritten by specific client groups under [settings] -> [Company] -> [Client Groups]. i.e. if today is Jan 8, 2014, and this setting is set to "3 days" it will attempt to auto debit the account on Jan 5, 2014.
  3. The client has Auto Debit enabled on their account profile page.
  4. The client has a payment account, and that payment account is selected for auto debit (the left radio button on the payment account listing page).
  5. The client has open invoice(s) in a currency with which the payment account (via the payment gateway) is currently set to accept.

Thank you Tyson! I verified everything you said to check and today got the cron log entry "Attempting to auto debit open invoices. Attempting to auto debit client #1500 for all open invoices in the amount of $6.48 USD. Successfully processed the payment. The auto debit invoices task has completed."!

I'm going to put the Stripe gateway back into production mode and set it to store card information offiste again. Then we'll see in 10 days when a customer comes up for renewal. I'll post my results. 

I'm going to put the Stripe gateway back into production mode and set it to store card information offiste again. Then we'll see in 10 days when a customer comes up for renewal. I'll post my results. 

It works! Thank you everyone for you help.