Credit Note?

flangefrog

Question

What's the usual way you guys fix a problem with an incorrect invoice being sent out? I added the wrong service to a client, and my accountant tells me that I should be sending out a credit note (which is sometimes a negative invoice) instead of voiding the invoice. I tried a negative invoice, but it doesn't add any credit. If I have to void the invoice instead, is Blesta supposed to email the customer? I checked the Invoice Delivery: Email box but didn't receive any mail.

8 answers to this question

This will be on 3.3 I suppose. The European Invoice system is not implemented yet to support:

Pro-Forma Invoice wen a service is renewed with own sequential number

Create an "Invoice", wen a "Pro-Forma Invoice" is Paid, with own sequential number, or simple create an "Invoice" but not "Paid"

add an option to create new Type of documents, like "Credite Notes", "Recipes" etc, with there own sequential number.

This will be on 3.3 I suppose. The European Invoice system is not implemented yet to support:

Note that the TS is not from Europe, so may have overlooked the other threads about it because they mention "EU invoicing", which is somewhat misleading.

Credit notes are pretty much used everywhere worldwide.

With the exception of some countries that allow smaller companies to use cash based accounting instead, in which case only payments need to be tracked.

If there is no legal obligation to write out an invoice in the first place, there is no need for a paper trial for later corrections either after all...

Note that the TS is not from Europe, so may have overlooked the other threads about it because they mention "EU invoicing", which is somewhat misleading.

Credit notes are pretty much used everywhere worldwide.

With the exception of some countries that allow smaller companies to use cash based accounting instead, in which case only payments need to be tracked.

If there is no legal obligation to write out an invoice in the first place, there is no need for a paper trial for later corrections either after all...

So I just had a call with my accountant. I am doing cash based accounting through the year for GST (Tax) purposes, and switching to accrual accounting at the year end for income tax (as it's a requirement here in NZ). That means I do need to issue invoices, and also credit notes. Another reason is that if I issued a customer an invoice and then voided it without a credit note, they could still claim GST on the invoice. I am currently using the Xero GST cashbook which doesn't included invoices/purchase orders, but in the future I might switch to their standard plan, and sync the invoices from Blesta which would allow me to do full accrual accounting.