How Fast Is Your Internet Connection?

Paul

I was just chatting with Mike from Licensecart about Internet speed. I think I maxed speedtest.net out from my desk at work.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3426368915

My connection at home is only 10Mbps down, 1Mbps up though it bursts to 20Mb+ sometimes.

Are you happy with your Internet provider? Who are they? How fast is it? Is it reliable?

I was just chatting with Mike from Licensecart about Internet speed. I think I maxed speedtest.net out from my desk at work.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3426368915

My connection at home is only 10Mbps down, 1Mbps up though it bursts to 20Mb+ sometimes.

Are you happy with your Internet provider? Who are they? How fast is it? Is it reliable?

I'm not happy with my internet but I will say it could be worse.

I recently moved and my internet is a lot better now.

I have comcast 50 Mbit/s

For the most part it's pretty good. But the huge issue for me is that there is a 300gb data cap.

I hope in the future we can get Google fiber.

Hi

am verry happy with my internet provider:

I have ziggo from holland..

Download speed is 90 Mbits/s

Upload speed is 9 Mbits/s

With no limitations

Good provider till today

The fastest the got is 

Download ad 180 Mbits/s

Upload 18 Mbits

That's one of those specs that looks good on paper but not exactly a real world expectations with all the peering issues.  I've had up to 75Mbps on FIOS but didn't find my experience any better with a 10Mbps or less.  Unless it was bit torrent, that's where it really shines.

Im using now my Laptop linked by Wifi to my Samsung Galaxy S4 using 4G connection, on movment on my Car, (Just stoped the car and waiting for some people lol), but dosent go above 5Mb Download, and 11Mb Upload lol: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3426452629

On the office we have Fiber that can easely go to 100Mb Download and Upload, and ADSL that can andle 25Mb

We have changed in Portugal betwin almost all internet providers since 1998 (the good old days that we had have 56k Modem), and one thing is serten, all providers are good on the beginning, but wen some time as pass, the providers here in Portugal put restritions because the servers cant handle to many clients traffic.

Now with fiber, things seems a litle better, full speed and no limitations :)

Thought I'd take a new one now the PS4 is off :)

3426513634.png

Yeah I'm happy with them since I'm now off Slow Sky :).

Show off. I want a PS4. Actually, not sure I have time for that. :)

A lot of places in Europe seem to have very fast residential Internet service. I'd be happy lighting up some dark fiber between the office and my house but that's way too expensive.

At home I have 100Mbps Down / 10Mbps Up. Home is also work for me.

The speed test is from where I live, Central Saskatchewan, Canada to Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Roughly 1300 miles (~2100km) as indicated in the pic below. This is why the ping is so high. :-)

I wish my upload speed was better, though. As it stands, this is the best available where I live for upload speed. I'm actually uprooting the family and we're moving to British Columbia in August. Doing my research they do have faster upload speeds there.

3426618426.png

Shaw offers upto 250Mbps Down and 15Mbps Up.

Show off. I want a PS4. Actually, not sure I have time for that. :)

A lot of places in Europe seem to have very fast residential Internet service. I'd be happy lighting up some dark fiber between the office and my house but that's way too expensive.

PS4 is amazing even though there's not many games for it yet mate :) I want DriveClub myself.

That's one of those specs that looks good on paper but not exactly a real world expectations with all the peering issues.  I've had up to 75Mbps on FIOS but didn't find my experience any better with a 10Mbps or less.  Unless it was bit torrent, that's where it really shines.

you are right..

the only way you profit those speed is when i download something from newsgroups..

This is about average for my home.  Paying for 30 down 4 up so on par:

3427949025.png

This by the way is on a server which is about 150 miles north of me.  Charter saw fit to give me a new IP the other day up north for whatever reason.

At work, they just upgraded to a 20mb connection.  It was funny because they said that as soon as it came on live, within 15 minutes, the pipe was maxed out.   Something tells me they need more bandwidth to support upwards to 700 computers where I work.  (I work in IT BTW)

At work, they just upgraded to a 20mb connection.  It was funny because they said that as soon as it came on live, within 15 minutes, the pipe was maxed out.   Something tells me they need more bandwidth to support upwards to 700 computers where I work.  (I work in IT BTW)

20Mb works out to like 28Kbps for each of those 700 computers, if they are all accessing the Internet at the same time. Slower than dialup! :)

It's designed to encourage bring your own device / use your own data. :P

At my college (studying 3D Animation) we had 5Mbps for a couple hundred or so students (similar speed per user as medfordite's work and sometimes near 80% packet loss). No phone reception and no personal computers or laptops allowed in the labs. Sometimes our campus internet was switched off when a particular group was supposed to be using digital tutors as course material... Combined with a large amount of students torrenting 24/7 and others trying to watch YouTube It was a nightmare  :( I was so happy to go home every now again and use my 0.36Mbps connection.

At my college (studying 3D Animation) we had 5Mbps for a couple hundred or so students (similar speed per user as medfordite's work and sometimes near 80% packet loss). No phone reception and no personal computers or laptops allowed in the labs. Sometimes our campus internet was switched off when a particular group was supposed to be using digital tutors as course material... Combined with a large amount of students torrenting 24/7 and others trying to watch YouTube It was a nightmare  :( I was so happy to go home every now again and use my 0.36Mbps connection.

If I was the IT director, I probably would have blocked P2P ports/protocols and other non-essentials. Sounds like the connection was pretty much useless.

If I was the IT director, I probably would have blocked P2P ports/protocols and other non-essentials. Sounds like the connection was pretty much useless.

Most common P2P ports were blocked, but people still found ways around it. It think it was the management, because talking to the IT guy I found out they had fibre but they were only paying for 5Mbps for the students lab/campus and 5Mbps for the office. Apparently it's much better now though.