Automatic Auto Debit

ServZoo

It would be great to see an option to have auto debit setup automatically on an order. I was actually unaware that this didn't happen, but it would be great to have a tick box to allow a client to setup auto debit automatically when placing an order or having a setting on the backend to enable it on packages by default.

I think that most clients assume that this is done as almost every billing system does this by default.

Are there any plans to add this functionality in the future releases?

I believe auto debit is enabled by default, unless you mean that if a user pays with a credit card and checks the box to save their credit card.. does it then select that credit card for auto debit? I'm not sure what the answer is, maybe it doesn't? If not, it probably should.

I believe auto debit is enabled by default, unless you mean that if a user pays with a credit card and checks the box to save their credit card.. does it then select that credit card for auto debit? I'm not sure what the answer is, maybe it doesn't? If not, it probably should.

I was testing the gateways last night and noticed that if I paid by credit card (I checked to save the card) but it did not enable auto debit automatically. When I opened the user account in the admin panel, it showed "Payment methods on file but auto debit not enabled." Basically, it wanted me to select the card as the default auto debit method.

I'm thinking that it's not auto selecting the card for auto debit. 

No, it doesn't automatically set your card for auto debit on order. You might already have an account setup for auto debit, and that account may be associated with a different gateway in a different currency than you're using at checkout, and the auto debit account may be stored offsite. Maybe the client wants to keep that other account for auto debit.

No, it doesn't automatically set your card for auto debit on order. You might already have an account setup for auto debit, and that account may be associated with a different gateway in a different currency than you're using at checkout, and the auto debit account may be stored offsite. Maybe the client wants to keep that other account for auto debit.

Thanks for the update. Is there a way to have an option to set it automatically? This is a pretty big deal to me as it's industry standard to set auto pay. The customer can decide to remove it if they want, but asking them to take additional steps to set it up is a little much. 

Not trying to complain here, but it just makes sense to have the option setup since most web hosts do auto debit automatically. 

If not, it probably should.

I agree with the above.

The issue of multiple billing as I understand Tyson mention is that if that have multiple accounts (they really shouldn't) but if they do, they are simply setting up auto pay for the services that they have. For instance, a customer has two accounts with services for $5 per month. The auto debit would charge $5 per account (regardless of the gateway.) This would be accurate billing. Obviously if the gateway supports it. I know all the merchant account gateways do it with a call to the gateway. PayPal does subscriptions.

If the customer had an account with auto debit and they added a new service, the order form allows them to pick a saved card. The account level auto debit would just automatically pay all the invoices unless they disabled auto debit.

I know I ignore the invoices that are sent to me by almost every company I deal with as they are all auto debit.

We could probably enable the saved card for auto debit if--

1. There are no other payment accounts saved for the client
  2. The payment account is set up for auto debit at the same time it is saved (from checking the save checkbox)

In other words, when a payment account is saved, check if there are any other payment accounts saved for the client. If there isn't, then mark it for auto debit.

Thoughts? Any potential issues with this?

I would honestly take anything I can get on this! The way I have seen other systems work is that your first card is automatically the default card. As you add more they are saved but not auto debit enabled. You can update the settings yourself as you desire to pick the default card.

I've been toying with it myself, but I have to admit I'm old school when it comes to PHP and MySQL. I know what I want to do to make it work for me, but I don't quite get how to do it with the way Blesta is written. What you are saying is essentially what I was going to tweak myself without checking the other payment methods (which is not a bad idea.)

When making the payment when they click the save checkbox, just adding an entry for auto debit = true to the database. That will make it work pretty easy. If I can just figure out how to make the change work myself, I will deploy on the dev install and do some playing.

• 1 month later...

Still getting customers complain lol it doesn't auto debit with stripe. Not sure why though, it's set to auto debit and they've made it their default card.

I think that problem has been resolved in CORE-1354.You can wait for the next version for the fix, or add the autodebit setting with a value of 'true' to that clients' settings. I think you can simply click the link on their profile page to enable auto debit, or instead add that setting to the `client_settings` table.

I think that problem has been resolved in CORE-1354.You can wait for the next version for the fix, or add the autodebit setting with a value of 'true' to that clients' settings. I think you can simply click the link on their profile page to enable auto debit, or instead add that setting to the `client_settings` table.

Thanks mate, I've added that to this client and we'll see what happens :)