Invoice Start Value

a.daniello

Question

This is a small bug that isn't a problem in many countries and can be fixed friendly.

Use case:

- In "Invoice customizations" i set "Invoice start value" first time, e.g. 20140001; invoices start with 20140001;

- then i change "Invoice start vslue" (this is necessary in Italy because law want that numeration restart every year), e.g. 20150001; in this case Blesta fails because invoices start with 20150002!

Banally, solve if i set, in next updates, a number - 1, e.g. 20150000. But isn't a normal flow.

Thanks,

Achille

14 answers to this question

What you're experiencing is normal behavior for invoice number generation. The first invoice ever created begins at the invoice start number, and every number generated afterward is incremented by the invoice increment value. So changing the start value after invoices have already been generated continues to create invoice numbers starting at the next incremented value. As you've discovered, if you want to change the start value in the future, you need to consider that the next invoice number is generated from the increment value and set the start value accordingly.

If it did not increment when you changed the start value, it would be possible to generate duplicate invoice numbers, which is arguably a worse outcome.

this is related to other request http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3306-pro-forma-invoices-numbering-are-not-sequential/

if we can add fields that store last invoice (number) and last proforma (number) . we can easy reset this field in every new year . and resolving this two issue . i'm sure with the more users use blesta they will request this . so prepare fromnow to this :)

licensecart, what are you thinking?

{count} as {num} but auto-magically reset every new year?

You'd have {year}{count} year is the year aka 2014 / 2015 and count does 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06

So like 201401 201402 201403 201404, etc.

And maybe there could be a cron which is ran once every year to reset the number count back to 01.