Backup Questions

jjsararas

Question

I have backups configured and successfully uploading to S3. I'm wondering if it's possible to limit the # of backups to X number of days so they don't keep piling up. Also wondering about the restore process, and other default settings. I wasn't able to find anything in the documentation. 

5 answers to this question

There isn't currently any rotation of backups (deleting old ones). S3 is pretty cheap, but you may wish to login to S3 and delete old ones backups manually. An archiving and rotating feature request for deleting older backups while archiving say a daily, weekly, or monthly would be welcome.

Restoring has to be done manually. If we add the ability to do a restore in the UI, it could fail if it's too large. Database restores in most cases should be done via CLI

mysql -u user -p database_name < backupfile.sql

Using phpMyAdmin works too, but has similar limitations as to size and timeouts as if we built in a restore to the UI.

There isn't currently any rotation of backups (deleting old ones). S3 is pretty cheap, but you may wish to login to S3 and delete old ones backups manually. An archiving and rotating feature request for deleting older backups while archiving say a daily, weekly, or monthly would be welcome.

Restoring has to be done manually. If we add the ability to do a restore in the UI, it could fail if it's too large. Database restores in most cases should be done via CLI

Using phpMyAdmin works too, but has similar limitations as to size and timeouts as if we built in a restore to the UI.

"Smells" like we need a new plugin eheh :) to Auto Delete/Rotate old MySQL Backups :P

If you are using S3 you can set a lifecycle on your bucket which can archive to glacier, delete, or both.  Moving to glacier save $0.02/GB (I think that was the figure last time I checked) which I need to keep some backups for an extended period of time so this is nice.  However if you don't need them you can set it up to auto remove them after x time which may work for you.