File Permissions.

phireuk

Question

Hello Blesta forum =)

Sorry for the noob question... but I read the setup guide and can't find the answer.

While installing I get the message I can't install until the server can write to a config file and a config folder

/home/admin/web/hosting.phire.uk/public_html/blesta/config

blesta-new.php

I am not sure what is the best file permission to use.  I can set them to 777 but is that insecure?  It would be nice if the web installer stated clearly which permission to use (please set the file permissions to this folder  and config file to XXX)

chmod -R 577 /home/admin/web/hosting.phire.uk/public_html/blesta/config
chmod -R 577 blesta-new.php

Is 577 the correct number?  Sorry for the stupid question.

9 answers to this question

They only need 644 minus the blesta-new.php which I recommend 777 and then blesta.php will be 644.

Folders should be 755.

Thanks for that, got a pass on all settings now and about to start the install.  Just one  more question (edit 2 more)...for now ;)

If i get the trial licence, is it stright forward to move to an owned licence at the end of the trial?   And after the years support is gone, is the licence still valid on newer versions of blesta that are released later?

Thanks for that, got a pass on all settings now and about to start the install.  Just one  more question (edit 2 more)...for now ;)

You're welcome :)

If i get the trial licence, is it stright forward to move to an owned licence at the end of the trial?

Yes you can go to Settings > System > License Key > Upgrade or if it's expired just enter the license key in the box after logging into the admin area.

And after the years support is gone, is the licence still valid on newer versions of blesta that are released later?

You can only get the patches not upgrade to the newer versions if they have expired.

Say you have 3.5.x and your support and updates have expired, you can't upgrade to 4.x.x or 4.1.x or  4.2.x etc but you can use 3.5.1, 3.5.2, 3.5.3, 3.5.4, etc.

Unless you buy the Blesta Owned Lifetime license then you don't need to pay for support or updates at all.

thanks for clearing that up...i appriciate your help,   which leads my final question. 

If i buy the owned 1 year licence (from a well known reseller ;) )  

and lets say the 1 year updates and support expired 2 years ago and i negleted the install / licence.  Can i add the support / updates package addon and update to catchup to present...  or does the update package need to run consecutively?

Sorry for all the questions. 

thanks for clearing that up...i appriciate your help,   which leads my final question. 

If i buy the owned 1 year licence (from a well known reseller ;) )  

and lets say the 1 year updates and support expired 2 years ago and i negleted the install / licence.  Can i add the support / updates package addon and update to catchup to present...  or does the update package need to run consecutively?

Sorry for all the questions. 

Don't be sorry mate :) best to know before it's too late, you can't it's active from when you pay for it, unless you top up your account and don't extend the updates etc. But you can let it expire you get a year free with every owned license included, so if you don't pay to renew your license will run as normal but if you upgrade the installation you will get this message:

upgrade-suport-expired.png

Don't be sorry mate :) best to know before it's too late, you can't it's active from when you pay for it, unless you top up your account and don't extend the updates etc. But you can let it expire you get a year free with every owned license included, so if you don't pay to renew your license will run as normal but if you upgrade the installation you will get this message:

upgrade-suport-expired.png

Thanks again

but just to be 100%...  if i have had that message for 2 years (on 3rd year since i got the licence).  can i readd a support package and upgrade to Blesta 5.xx or 6.xx etc.?

cheers Jon

Thanks again

but just to be 100%...  if i have had that message for 2 years (on 3rd year since i got the licence).  can i readd a support package and upgrade to Blesta 5.xx or 6.xx etc.?

cheers Jon

Hello Jon mate,

Yes I think you've got it but to be sure I understand let's say you bought the license and got Blesta 4.0. You have the support and updates included for a year, and therefore upgrade to 4.1, when the support and updates expire you think you are fine on 4.1, you patch up a few times to 4.1.3 and then 4.3 comes out and you want to upgrade to that because it has new features you want. You can then upgrade your support and updates on your license and then get another year from the date you upgraded. Then you can upgrade to 4.3 without reaching that error.

Thanks again

cheers Jon

Yes. Once your support and updates is current, you can upgrade to any version we release until your yearly support and updates expires. If the support and updates expire, you cannot upgrade to a new major/minor version, but you can still apply patch (bug fix) releases for the current minor release you are using.

Just to be clear, there is no penalty for not keeping support & updates current. The yearly cost is $39, and 1st year is included. So let's say you let it lapse and don't renew support & updates for 3 years. You won't be able to upgrade to minor/major releases after the 1st year, but let's say version 5.0 comes out and you want it.. all you need to do is pay for support & updates for 1 year ($39) and you can upgrade to it.