Email Piping No Longer Working

JoieDeMort

Question

Since that thread in 2013 (http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1017-email-piping/), I've successfully used the pipe1.php. Today, I discovered that it's no longer working; I can't figure out anything which has recently changed on the server recently which could cause this. When I use cPanel to set it up with the default pipe.php, it also doesn't work. Changing default permissions from 644 to the 744 pipe1 used (or even to 777) adds additional errors shown below. Any ideas? No errors are logged in Blesta, obviously.

pipe to |/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1

generated by sales@account_name.com

local delivery failed

pipe to |/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe1.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1

generated by sales@account_name.com

local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php plugin/support_manager/ticket_pipe/index/1

generated by sales@account_name.com ------

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 1: ?php: No such file or directory

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 2: /**: No such file or directory

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 3: access-logs: command not found

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 4: access-logs: command not found

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 5: access-logs: command not found

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 6: blestauploads/: is a directory

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 7: =: command not found

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 9: try: command not found

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `dirname'

/home/account_name/public_html/secure/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php: line 10: `           include(dirname(__FILE__) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . ".." . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . ".." . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR . "lib/init.php");'

8 answers to this question

What version of Blesta and the support manager are you running?

See https://docs.blesta.com/display/user/Support+Manager#SupportManager-email-pipingEmailPiping

You should double check that the hashbang in your pipe file are correct. Also ensure that the company ID defined in your pipe file references the correct company. If you have only 1 company, then it should be 1. It should also be executable by exim. If you have SSH, a chmod +x pipe1.php should suffice.

Any idea what changed?

Thanks for the replies!

Everything is still set up as it was, with the settings just as in the referenced email piping docs. No changes have been made to anything except for whatever cPanel automatically upgraded. I'm trying to run that angle down.

It may be beneficial to delete and re-create the pipe forwarder in cPanel. If the hashbang or permissions of the file are not correct or have changed, cPanel may automatically correct them or prompt you to correct them.

Nothing has changed with cPanel in the last 2 weeks or php since late last year.

Server admin has a question:

"One quick question, is there a process that is supposed to happen (it looks like the dispatchCLI function should make some http request, I assume this should make some entries in your tracking system or generate an action. Is this happening but the error is logged (and the bounce message sent) or is this not happening and the bounce message is sent."

I don't see anything in the Blesta logs.

Recreating the pipe forwarder in cPanel didn't help.

Nothing has changed with cPanel in the last 2 weeks or php since late last year.

Server admin has a question:

"One quick question, is there a process that is supposed to happen (it looks like the dispatchCLI function should make some http request, I assume this should make some entries in your tracking system or generate an action. Is this happening but the error is logged (and the bounce message sent) or is this not happening and the bounce message is sent."

I don't see anything in the Blesta logs.

Recreating the pipe forwarder in cPanel didn't help.

Something necessarily must have changed in order for it to stop working. Interesting.

What I would try is this:

1. Make sure you're running the latest version of Blesta 3.6.1
  2. Re-upload the plugins/support_manager files, and make sure there is not a pending upgrade for the plugin under Settings > Company > Plugins
  3. Set up the forwarder for piping to be like the following:

"|/usr/bin/php /home/user/public_html/plugins/support_manager/pipe.php"

Make sure the path to PHP and the path to pipe.php is correct. There should be nothing after pipe.php. Double check that it is chmod +x (executable).

EDIT: Also, make sure you have the mailparse pecl extension installed.

If that doesn't work, then the next step would be to try to manually pipe a test email in via SSH to determine if it's an error with Blesta or an issue with the mail server not sending it to STDIN.

The extremely odd thing is that mailparse had to be reinstalled. It magically disappeared from the server. !?!?!?!? Once the latest version supporting php 5.5 was installed, everything went back to normal.

No clue.

Thanks again for the help. You hit the nail on the head Paul!

Don't you just love cPanel  :lol:  :blesta: