Looking Ahead To 3.2.. Responsive Bootstrap Client Area

Paul

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the bootstrap conversion so far?

• Looks awesome, can't wait for 3.2!
    • Pretty cool.
    • It's ok.
    • Terrible.

Paul, question.  Would this new design make it possible to add more features to the client page?  I.e.: easier to customize what's displayed without editing core files themselves?

So, if someone wants to add a custom field to display on the page they can edit something and make it possible?

Paul, question.  Would this new design make it possible to add more features to the client page?  I.e.: easier to customize what's displayed without editing core files themselves?

So, if someone wants to add a custom field to display on the page they can edit something and make it possible?

I know that's one of the aims they are hoping out of 3.2 design, easier for them to add features, and easier to customize.

The bootstrap conversion does make it much easier to customize Blesta, largely by editing styles or markup within the templates. These changes don't "stick" through upgrades though.

This makes it easier for theme developers to create new template packs for Blesta though, and you'd be able to simple upload the template pack, and select it from Blesta for the company. This means your client area can work from a different template set for different companies.

We have plans to add options for modifying the header/footer that will persist through upgrades also -- not sure if it will make it into 3.2 or not at this point. This will be useful for embedding google analytics, or other, visual changes that stay when you upgrade.

The CMS plugin, that is in charge of the portal will be expanded, making it easier to customize the portal, and eventually, build out an entire website.

Paul,

Any idea when you will ahve beta ready or release date.

We're setting up for launch and soon on the Agenda is to theme Blesta. Would like to know whether to do so now or wait for release.

Cheers.

I think you're safe to custom it now, however if you don't have a bootstrap layout, you might want to hold off a bit as 3.2 is made with bootstrap. I know they are working hard on 3.2 but I haven't heard of a date set in stone yet.

Any idea when you will ahve beta ready or release date.

We're setting up for launch and soon on the Agenda is to theme Blesta. Would like to know whether to do so now or wait for release.

The client interface will be on bootstrap while the admin interface will remain the same. We presume roughly 8 weeks between minor releases, which would put v3.2 around the Ides of March.

I know they are working hard on 3.2 but I haven't heard of a date set in stone yet.

We prefer a date of "when it's ready".

Actually I have a question about 3.2

You guys have been talking about having something in the future where custom code (analytics, etc)  can be deployed to, lets say the footer area of the structure and preserved even through upgrades. Is that something you guys are looking at in 3.2 or is it further on down the road?

Actually I have a question about 3.2

You guys have been talking about having something in the future where custom code (analytics, etc)  can be deployed to, lets say the footer area of the structure and preserved even through upgrades. Is that something you guys are looking at in 3.2 or is it further on down the road?

It's actually CORE-828. Not completed yet for 3.2, but if all goes according to plan it will be in there. A related task, CORE-961 allows for the selection of an entirely different set of templates for the client area. The main benefit here is that different companies can have vastly different and customized client templates.

It's actually CORE-828. Not completed yet for 3.2, but if all goes according to plan it will be in there. A related task, CORE-961 allows for the selection of an entirely different set of templates for the client area. The main benefit here is that different companies can have vastly different and customized client templates.

Sounds good Paul. It's not the end of the world by any means if it doesn't make it into 3.2 I was just thinking it would be a cool feature. 

I also really like how the core numbers are listed as links to where we can read more about it!!

Sounds good Paul. It's not the end of the world by any means if it doesn't make it into 3.2 I was just thinking it would be a cool feature. 

I also really like how the core numbers are listed as links to where we can read more about it!!

Yeah, we finally got our project management system public so people can follow progress, view the roadmap. By default, all items are private, and we've been slowly opening them up as we work on them. Will probably make an official announcement next week, sort of rolled it out silently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just another lame +1 for bootstrap support. I've only just started testing Blesta so I have a long way to go before I have a clue but I hope there is a possibility of having a  class="navbar navbar-fixed-top navbar-inverse" at the top of the page?

As someone noted, the logo area above the mobile navbar is redundant and something I'd like to remove altogether and use a <a class="navbar-brand"> for the logo and home page link. Same for the browser version as well.

And also, are there any plans to continue the mobile-friendly bootstrap theme into the admin area as well?

Just another lame +1 for bootstrap support. I've only just started testing Blesta so I have a long way to go before I have a clue but I hope there is a possibility of having a  class="navbar navbar-fixed-top navbar-inverse" at the top of the page?

As someone noted, the logo area above the mobile navbar is redundant and something I'd like to remove altogether and use a <a class="navbar-brand"> for the logo and home page link. Same for the browser version as well.

And also, are there any plans to continue the mobile-friendly bootstrap theme into the admin area as well?

I dowt the admin theme will be changed, due to how advanced the admin area is. You will be able to edit the structure.pdt to make changes to suit your needs.

You will be able to edit the structure.pdt to make changes to suit your needs.

Ah thanks. I saw that *.pdt files were to be excluded from a nginx config example I copied but wasn't sure what they were. So, they are the template files. OMG there is 476 of them, including modules and plugins! About 36k lines and 1.4Mb of code just for templates so, yes, changing all of that for bootstrap would be a huge job.  As a comparison I just applied https://github.com/ShaunR/template-bootstrap to whmcs (easy) and it worked (99%) for everything I tried throughout the system. It is excellent being able to admin whmcs from a phone aside from clients using a mobile friendly signup procedure.

You will be able to edit the structure.pdt to make changes to suit your needs.

Ah thanks. I saw that *.pdt files were to be excluded from a nginx config example I copied but wasn't sure what they were. So, they are the template files. OMG there is 476 of them, including modules and plugins! About 36k lines and 1.4Mb of code just for templates so, yes, changing all of that for bootstrap would be a huge job.  As a comparison I just applied https://github.com/ShaunR/template-bootstrap to whmcs (easy) and it worked (99%) for everything I tried throughout the system. It is excellent being able to admin whmcs from a phone aside from clients using a mobile friendly signup procedure.

Honestly while there's a lot of PDT files, and a lot of code in each, a vast majority of it is all the same style sets.  So, it really wouldn't be difficult to convert the current theme system to Bootstrap, it would just be tedious, even with a massive love of sed.

The client area was a bit of a pain to integrate to bootstrap. It's not just the templates/styles that change, it's all of the javascript that make DOM changes, how partial views are abstracted, modules/gateways/plugins, how module form fields are rendered, etc. I can only imagine the time necessary to convert the admin area to bootstrap.

But wouldn't it be fair to say that now you have "ported" the client area to BS3 that taking a deep breathe and looking at the admin area is a wee bit more feasible now? :-)

Nope  :blink:

Maybe in the future, but there are no plans to do that right now. It would take significantly longer than the client area.