Wordpress-Like Release Updater

xxxxx

I completely agree on this.

Having a option where it's possible to update with a off / on feature. so people can either use the automated update or manual update. How ever with the bootstrap changes coming to the next version.

Updates like this could cause issues with peoples custom themes. that would need Manually Fixing.

This is coming soon, which is why there's a option in the settings, however it's a hard thing for them to do securely so it will take them a while to implant it. You may have heard that someone could hack another billing system by using the updater. 

I believe they will be using the same system like their licensing module which uses keys.

I completely agree on this.

Having a option where it's possible to update with a off / on feature. so people can either use the automated update or manual update. How ever with the bootstrap changes coming to the next version.

Updates like this could cause issues with peoples custom themes. that would need Manually Fixing.

Just to clarify, I don't particularly mean that automatic updates would be a good idea, just an "Update" button to perform an update rather than having to manually FTP files in.

Just to clarify, I don't particularly mean that automatic updates would be a good idea, just an "Update" button to perform an update rather than having to manually FTP files in.

Yeah :) but that's what was attacked on another system, but a upgrade manually I hope will be option like:

Update Settings:

[ ] Stable release

[ ] Beta relsease

----------------------

[ ] Update Automatically

[ ] Update Manually.

If you select Manually you just click the update button, but a warning shows up under system settings that a update is available.

I trust the Blesta devs to learn from other's mistakes :) There are a good number of other systems which use built-in update scripts securely. I'll play the waiting game :)

That's the important part of it.. the updates must be verified as being trusted. The default option would likely be not to update automatically, or to update with security patches only.

We have discussed this internally at some length, but we have some other more critical features to implement first.

That's the important part of it.. the updates must be verified as being trusted. The default option would likely be not to update automatically, or to update with security patches only.

We have discussed this internally at some length, but we have some other more critical features to implement first.

I agree. I think this would be extremely cool and even more than that very handy.

However, that being said to me some of the other features you guys are working on are more important to me at the time being. Like bootstrap, which is almost done, and a mass mailer.

One thing that would be really cool though is if like previously mentioned it worked similar to WordPress where the core can be updated or reinstalled, and plugins can be updated.

Since the core and plugins are separate, you guys could push out updates to plugins, or bug fixes independent from core releases and I think this would make it easier for both the end user, as well as the blesta devs.

Since the core and plugins are separate, you guys could push out updates to plugins, or bug fixes independent from core releases and I think this would make it easier for both the end user, as well as the blesta devs.

The marketplace will  be responsible for handling updates to extensions (modules, gateways, plugins) and the built in updater would update the core only. At least I think that's the plan. Whether extensions are updated automatically or not is a separate discussion, but we're starting with the core.

Still, the good news about how the marketplace should work is that even if you upgrade an extension manually.. it should be as easy as clicking a button.

Just for me, personally.. I'd prefer to manually update extensions by clicking the button in the marketplace. For the core, I'd want patches installed automatically and I'd like to click a button to upgrade a minor/major release.