Issues With Piping

evolvewh

Question

Hi,

I'm running Blesta 3.5.3 and I'm unable to successfully make piping work.  I tried the suggested forwarder and it sends the client a message saying the email is un deliverable.  I'm using cPanel and I tried usr/bin/php and usr/local/bin/php

Then I tried this suggestion: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1017-email-piping/?p=8838

It works but because the pipe.php file is set to 755, I get a spammer sending a message and causing a loop that sends 50k+ 'mail undeliverable: return to sender' messages.

I'm not opposed to using POP3/IMAP but I need to understand how they work first.

Any suggestions?

DL

9 answers to this question

That's something you need to work on where it's coming from and prevent it. On Interworx you can ban the email address as spam, not sure how you do that on cPanel. But it's not Blesta and your pipe.php has to be 777 else it won't work. Blesta can't be liable for a spammer :D

Not blaming anyone or anything.  Just trying to make it all work!

The original pipe.php file with permissions set to 644, 755 or 777 will not work for me.

The one mentioned in the other thread (the hashbang change) does work on 755 or 777 for me. 

I did the following in WHM to hopefully cut out a lot of spam:

Home »Service Configuration »Exim Configuration Manager, "Sender Verification" and "Sender Verification Callouts

With that option, anytime the server receives mail, it contacts the published mail exchanger for the sender address and verifies whether the sender address is actually a valid one that can receive mail.

It sounds like you had piping set up correctly, but were receiving a lot of spam. The permissions of pipe.php have nothing to do with that if the emails are legitimately sent to your mail server.

My suggestion is to use a different email address, or put a hardware spam filter between the Internet and your mail server. Or, you can allow only clients to open tickets, in which case the email will be rejected if it doesn't match a client email address. (This is a department setting)

I think I have it solved now.  pipe.php has to be set to 700 (777 is fully executable) and I had to add the hashbang to the first line of the file.  So far it's all working properly and if I get through the first 24 hours, I should be good to go.

What was happening is I'd get a spam message and then the 'mail undeliverable' message kept getting kicked back to me over and over and over again.

it's will help you for your blesta email be not assimillated as spam or a spammer simulate being you, if you have some DNS TXT records like:

1/ A TXT DNS RECORD to definite allowed sender, so you will list your server IP(s):"v=spf1 ip4:85.214.93.191 ip4:85.214.149.150 -all"

2/ A TXT DNS RECORD FOR DKIM

Other, regarding your permission level on the pipe file, there should not have relation as said Paul, but your mail box (mail server) is on the same server as your Blesta install?  If not it's explain you needed 777 level, but using piping is only when all is on same server.

if you are well on same sever, if you needed 777 for that work, it's could mean you user/group didn't own any right on the piping file and that really bad to solve it by giving full right to anybody

it's will help you for your blesta email be not assimillated as spam or a spammer simulate being you, if you have some DNS TXT records like:

1/ A TXT DNS RECORD to definite allowed sender, so you will list your server IP(s):"v=spf1 ip4:85.214.93.191 ip4:85.214.149.150 -all"

2/ A TXT DNS RECORD FOR DKIM

Other, regarding your permission level on the pipe file, there should not have relation as said Paul, but your mail box (mail server) is on the same server as your Blesta install?  If not it's explain you needed 777 level, but using piping is only when all is on same server.

if you are well on same sever, if you needed 777 for that work, it's could mean you user/group didn't own any right on the piping file and that really bad to solve it by giving full right to anybody

I mis read your message the other day and I do have DKIM and SPF records setup already.

I'm getting to the bottom of it now and it has to do with the file permission that I mentioned earlier and system mail configurations that I had done awhile back.  It's been frustrating but a learning experience too!

I appreciate all of the assistance.