Login With Username Or Email

jwogrady

I get a lot of calls from clients asking me for their username because they forget the username is their email address.

Compounding the issue....'

- Login prompt on askes for "Username"

- There is no username recovery feature.

My suggestion is that every user have a unique username, and that thier username can be referenced by one or more email addresses and even phone number.  This way the prompt can ready "Username or Email Address".   You can recover the email by providing a email address and phone number.

Even better.....   Google, Facebook, and Twitter authentication options.

Yes, I understand usernames are unique.

My immediate concern is usability.  Login asks for Username not email address....

Ideally the actual userid would be an random unique integer.  Username, phone numbers, email addresses, twitter, google, and facebook would be the unique identifiers that can be linked to the userid that the customer may never even see.

Now the user can sign in with either an email address or username with their account password....   Or via facebook, google, or twitter via Third Party Authentication.

TPA increases sales because it streamlines account creation and prevents users from having to remember yet another password.  It's also inherently more secure.  (no everyone agrees on that last point though)

Yes, I understand usernames are unique.

My immediate concern is usability.  Login asks for Username not email address....

Ideally the actual userid would be an random unique integer.  Username, phone numbers, email addresses, twitter, google, and facebook would be the unique identifiers that can be linked to the userid that the customer may never even see.

Now the user can sign in with either an email address or username with their account password....   Or via facebook, google, or twitter via Third Party Authentication.

TPA increases sales because it streamlines account creation and prevents users from having to remember yet another password.  It's also inherently more secure.  (no everyone agrees on that last point though)

We do have plans to allow simpler integration with third parties like Facebook, Twitter, etc. If I recall, there is a change that must be done to the authentication system, and then such an integration would be possible via a plugin.

what about login with user_id ?

v2.5 was this option , the clients can log with thier userid and with email adresse .

is not planned to add login with userid ?

No, there's no plan to allow logins via user IDs. User IDs are not shown in the system, so unless we make it available, admins/clients wouldn't know what ID to login with. Regardless, logging in with a user ID can present ambiguity. For instance, if one person has a username of "2" and a different user has the user ID "2", which person is logging in? Usernames need to be unique to avoid this kind of issue.

No, there's no plan to allow logins via user IDs. User IDs are not shown in the system, so unless we make it available, admins/clients wouldn't know what ID to login with. Regardless, logging in with a user ID can present ambiguity. For instance, if one person has a username of "2" and a different user has the user ID "2", which person is logging in? Usernames need to be unique to avoid this kind of issue.

Really is a pain . is there any plan to add custom login system that can support any authentication platform like OPENID or LDAP via plugin or events ?

i'm aware of this plugin, but it need a core files hack , to add a new event "Users.pre_auth" and the change the function "auth()" . we need blesta to be ready fo this to allow developper to ad any external/internal login system .