File Uploads With Nginx & Ssl

cloudrck

Question

Does anyone else have issues trying to upload files via the Support Manager in Blesta? Uploads work fine using Nginx/PHP and Nginx/RoR with plain HTTP. But with Blesta and HTTPS it doesn't seem to work.

The folder is writable.

Blesta gives this error

The file could not be written.

Nginx logs

2013/12/17 08:14:51 [warn] 2651#0: *50775 an upstream response is buffered to a temporary file /var/lib/nginx/fastcgi/7/05/0000000057 while reading upstream, client: 111.111.111.111, server: my.cloudrck.com, request: "GET /admin/clients/viewinvoice/23/107/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "my.cloudrck.com", referrer: "https://my.cloudrck.com/admin/clients/view/23/"
2013/12/18 04:17:46 [warn] 2650#0: *58956 an upstream response is buffered to a temporary file /var/lib/nginx/fastcgi/8/06/0000000068 while reading upstream, client: 111.111.111.111, server: my.cloudrck.com, request: "GET /client/invoices/view/105/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "my.cloudrck.com", referrer: "https://my.cloudrck.com/client/"
2013/12/18 13:29:55 [error] 2653#0: *63423 client intended to send too large body: 1670524 bytes, client: 111.111.111.111, server: my.cloudrck.com, request: "POST /client/plugin/support_manager/client_tickets/reply/108/ HTTP/1.1", host: "my.cloudrck.com", referrer: "https://my.cloudrck.com/client/plugin/support_manager/client_tickets/reply/108/"

I've searched online and saw a few people with the same issues but with no solution. This appears to be an issue with using SSL. My client_max_body_size setting doesn't seem to matter.

18 answers to this question

It works for us, but we may be doing it differently. We do SSl termination on a Nginx proxy which then passes through to a different Nginx server running Blesta in clear text.

I've never seen the 'client intended to send too large body' error before. Normally it would be a 413 Request Entity Too Large if it was a matter of max_client_size.

Would you mind posting the relevant bits of your configuration?

have you test a simple upload form in php ?

I think I had tested Blesta on non-ssl and it worked. Never tested a regular upload i don't think, it's been some time since I tried to troubleshoot this. I'll do that next

It's interesting... I can upload screenshots in the Support Manager Pro plugin, but I can't upload my logo for my custom invoices. 

Are you running PHP-FPM?

This would be easier if there were any error messages, but PHP/Nginx don't log any errors. Blesta only says it can't upload the file.

@ServZoo what error messages are you getting?

EDIT

I enabled error reporting and logging for all errors.

catch (Exception $e) {
                        // file could not be written

error_log($e->getMessage(), 3, "/tmp/my-errors.log");
                }

This is what I'm getting now. Even if I change the tmp directory, it still tries /tmp

rename(/tmp/phpfrWNyq,/home/user/blesta/uploads/1/support_manager_files/20140622T172139+0000_394003b2935a79907e02727573b6b20f.jpg): No such file or directory

Edited by cloudrck

This would be easier if there were any error messages, but PHP/Nginx don't log any errors. Blesta only says it can't upload the file.

@ServZoo what error messages are you getting?

EDIT

I enabled error reporting and logging for all errors.

catch (Exception $e) {
                        // file could not be written

error_log($e->getMessage(), 3, "/tmp/my-errors.log");
                }

This is what I'm getting now. Even if I change the tmp directory, it still tries /tmp

try to change the tmp directory in php.ini ? and make it under the user account .

try to change the tmp directory in php.ini ? and make it under the user account .

No, I was going to try that, but it seemed like it would makre things more complicated by declaring/restricting directories.

Does this path exist, and is it writable?

/home/user/blesta/uploads/1/support_manager_files/

Wow, that fixed it. Shouldn't these directories have been created by blesta? Did I miss this in the documentation?

No, I was going to try that, but it seemed like it would makre things more complicated by declaring/restricting directories.

Wow, that fixed it. Shouldn't these directories have been created by blesta? Did I miss this in the documentation?

Should be automatically created if the upload folder is 777 or 666 or whatever :) when installing the plugin.

The Support Manager attempts to create the directory when installed, yes. However, if you have an invalid uploads directory set (under [settings] -> [Company] -> [General] -> [basic Setup]) at the time you install the plugin, or your user does not have permissions enabled to create a directory at that path on the server, it could fail to do so.