[Config Options] Upgrade / Downgrade Currency Bug

Michael

Not sure if it's a 100% bug but Paul suggested I report it to be looked into as it is weird.

All our packages are in USD, however we allow customers to set their own preferred currency when ordering and use the exchange feature to convert the USD price into their currency for example GBP.

They get invoiced for the service in GBP every month, however when you upgrade or downgrade a configurable options value, they are charged in USD and not GBP.

Upgrades don't currently perform any currency conversion, and that is a known limitation.

If, for instance, you upgrade a service from one term to another (e.g. USD to AUD), then the new invoice is in AUD because that is the currency of the selected term. I'm not sure if that should use the client's default currency instead.

If you order a service from the order form, does it create the invoice in the service's currency, or the client's default currency? I think it's in the service's currency, and the order form supports selecting a currency, which will convert the service's currency to the selected currency, and use that on the invoice rather than converting it again to the client's preferred currency.

So we may need to give more thought to how and when currency conversion takes place throughout the system.

Upgrades don't currently perform any currency conversion, and that is a known limitation.

If, for instance, you upgrade a service from one term to another (e.g. USD to AUD), then the new invoice is in AUD because that is the currency of the selected term. I'm not sure if that should use the client's default currency instead.

If you order a service from the order form, does it create the invoice in the service's currency, or the client's default currency? I think it's in the service's currency, and the order form supports selecting a currency, which will convert the service's currency to the selected currency, and use that on the invoice rather than converting it again to the client's preferred currency.

So we may need to give more thought to how and when currency conversion takes place throughout the system.

Ah ok mate so config options don't convert prices from USD to another like when you place an order? :)

All config options should be in the currency of the service they belong to. If they're not, then something's amiss.

Confused then, when someone orders in GBP, your saying that the config options should be in GBP? If so can you try that mate on the 3.5 beta to see if it's my side or it's not working as it should be?

Could you give an example scenario including your expected result, and the result that you encounter?

If you order a service from the order form, I believe the invoice created for that service is in the service's currency. However, you can set it up to convert the service's currency to another, in which case the invoice will be in the selected currency. All config options attached to the service will be in the same currency.

Could you give an example scenario including your expected result, and the result that you encounter?

If you order a service from the order form, I believe the invoice created for that service is in the service's currency. However, you can set it up to convert the service's currency to another, in which case the invoice will be in the selected currency. All config options attached to the service will be in the same currency.

Here we go mate a video on how it works now: http://screencast.com/t/Ed8QBE9m5Mp

You'll notice I ordered in GBP, activated in GBP, the config order put it in USD, the preferred currency is GBP and my blesta is set-up for USD prices and allow customers to select their own currency and uses the Google exchange to change it.

PS: my mobile number is my old one no longer mine.

I think the fix is what you said above mate, there's no way for it exchange rate the currency so everything stays in USD.

What happens when the currency values change from the base currency ?

Does it recalculate the invoice amounts according to the base currency ?

Will new/subsequent invoices use the newer rates ? will old invoices use the older rates ?

Would their current service monthly commitment change to reflect the currency value change ?

Here we go mate a video on how it works now: http://screencast.com/t/Ed8QBE9m5Mp

You'll notice I ordered in GBP, activated in GBP, the config order put it in USD, the preferred currency is GBP and my blesta is set-up for USD prices and allow customers to select their own currency and uses the Google exchange to change it.

PS: my mobile number is my old one no longer mine.

I think the fix is what you said above mate, there's no way for it exchange rate the currency so everything stays in USD.

Everything in the video looks like normal behavior. If you had ordered the service in USD rather than converting it to GBP, the invoice would have been created in USD, and upgrades to it would be in USD as well because that is the currency set for the service term. Upgrades don't currently do any currency conversion, as I mentioned, and whether it should convert to the client's default currency is something we need to talk about internally. It may present some issues.

If you had ordered the USD service in EUR, then a EUR invoice would be created. Upgrading the service would then create an invoice in USD. Would you still expect it to be in GBP?

What happens when the currency values change from the base currency ?

Does it recalculate the invoice amounts according to the base currency ?

Will new/subsequent invoices use the newer rates ? will old invoices use the older rates ?

Would their current service monthly commitment change to reflect the currency value change ?

Invoices don't change currency after they've been created unless you do so manually. Prices changed are reflected when the service renews or when a new service is added.

Everything in the video looks like normal behavior. If you had ordered the service in USD rather than converting it to GBP, the invoice would have been created in USD, and upgrades to it would be in USD as well because that is the currency set for the service term. Upgrades don't currently do any currency conversion, as I mentioned, and whether it should convert to the client's default currency is something we need to talk about internally. It may present some issues.

If you had ordered the USD service in EUR, then a EUR invoice would be created. Upgrading the service would then create an invoice in USD. Would you still expect it to be in GBP?

I personally would expect it mate because when you are doing accounting you'll get confused, my client topped up money and found out he couldn't use it because it was GBP and not USD.

You mean he had credits on his account and they didn't cover the invoice because it's in another currency? Makes sense. That may be another reason for converting currencies.

Yeah mate, in the future if it's possible to exchange rate for say letting customers convert credit or config options would be neat. 

Just throwing my two cents in here...if a client orders a service in one currency, they should get the same currency whenever they do anything to that service, addon, upgrade, refund, etc.

If I go to the store and buy something with USD, I wouldn't expect them to give me a refund in EUR.

Any refund is given in the currency it was paid for in. Buy something in USD and get refunded in USD. This is based on the transaction, not the service.

Blesta doesn't reference the first currency ever used to pay for a service's invoice and then always invoice in that currency. You can set an override price/currency for a service, or upgrade it to a different term in some other currency, so it would be confusing to never be able to change the currency. And if you removed the currency from Blesta, or no longer accept payment in that currency, you would run into unforeseen problems creating/paying for the invoice.

Very, very confusing :)

If there is a currency converter it has to work, or at lest be removed temporary from blesta like the options "Merge Client" that still doesn't work and the menu option there is useless :P

The currency converter does work. Features like "Merge Client" could be removed until it has been fully integrated, but that is not always necessary.