Gmail Has Gone Google Again...

Michael

I don't have a popup asking if I want to enable it, but I want it :( What do.

Aww I dno I got a popup telling me about it and then got a email from them.

Try this: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/3055016?hl=en&p=inboxtabs&rd=1

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Gmail product or account.

I have a gmail account but barely use it. Never understood why it gets so much love, it's never seemed to be very useful or any better than anything else. Doubt the new interface - which hasn't shown up for me yet - adds anything of particular import... maybe they flash EVEN more google plus shit in my face now? lol

Ah yes, gmail... For when you want to send a message to the NSA but don't have their email address. :ph34r:

same with Facebook, Hotmail, Windows haha ;) I want to move to Unix but I can't see the point when my favourite one has made it look more like windows 7.

I want to move to Unix

I hope you mean Linux, and not Unix. (Unless your very old school of course).

Without trying to start a flame war about the differences, there aren't many Unix distros/users out in the real world anymore. Sun/VAX/BSD are the only real ones still "semi" floating around. (Usually only used by very large older companies).

I've been 100% Linux since 2004 (I think?).

Started on SuSE Personal 9.0, moved to Mandrake about 6 months later, then to Gentoo a few months after that. Now using Funtoo, which is basically the same thing as Gentoo with a few minor differences.

I keep a VM of various versions of Windows around for web design/development testing. Even that is pretty minimal these days.

Similar story...

No Windows sinse 2001(ish?) 

Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, and now Arch

At work I'm using Mint, purely for the benefit of knowing it won't break. (Gentoo and Arch have a habit of breaking at the most inconvenient times).

Gentoo was awesome.. reminded me of my FreeBSD days, building from source not only makes things native to your machine, but came with a huge sense of accomplishment. (Although time constraints come into play at times).

Arch is similar, it presumes nothing but still uses packages to make it all run/manage fast.

For servers, these days I stick to Ubuntu LTS on OpenVZ, it's fast, tested and hugely documented. (Albeit starting to be bloated).

Oh, and of course, I have winblow$7 running as a purely gaming rig (Steam makes gaming so stupid easy.. it's costing me a fortune!!)

Similar story...

No Windows sinse 2001(ish?) 

Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, and now Arch

At work I'm using Mint, purely for the benefit of knowing it won't break. (Gentoo and Arch have a habit of breaking at the most inconvenient times).

Gentoo was awesome.. reminded me of my FreeBSD days, building from source not only makes things native to your machine, but came with a huge sense of accomplishment. (Although time constraints come into play at times).

Arch is similar, it presumes nothing but still uses packages to make it all run/manage fast.

For servers, these days I stick to Ubuntu LTS on OpenVZ, it's fast, tested and hugely documented. (Albeit starting to be bloated).

Oh, and of course, I have winblow$7 running as a purely gaming rig (Steam makes gaming so stupid easy.. it's costing me a fortune!!)

Steam is coming / has come to Linux.. I'm not sure about now, but some of the initial benchmarks were blowing win7 out of the water, like l4d2 even when in beta. Not to mention opengl has come a long way since then, and nvidia is sort of updating their graphics drivers. Promising stuff

Steam is coming / has come to Linux.. I'm not sure about now, but some of the initial benchmarks were blowing win7 out of the water, like l4d2 even when in beta. Not to mention opengl has come a long way since then, and nvidia is sort of updating their graphics drivers. Promising stuff

Yep, and have had it installed in the past. The only catch is that most games are still limited to Windows so it's less painful to leave it running on that platform. If developers started building everything for Linux as equally as the other platforms I'd have no time for Windows at all.

I've never gotten into video games. I mean, I dont mind the odd game of Mario Party (especially when you mix in alcohol).

Video games on a computer are simply foreign to me. Programming is my favourite past time (aside from spending time with my wife and kids). It takes skill, patience, and a tonne of problem solving/planning/coordinating. It fulfills me mentally. Family fulfills me emotionally.

I've never gotten into video games. I mean, I dont mind the odd game of Mario Party (especially when you mix in alcohol).

Video games on a computer are simply foreign to me. Programming is my favourite past time (aside from spending time with my wife and kids). It takes skill, patience, and a tonne of problem solving/planning/coordinating. It fulfills me mentally. Family fulfills me emotionally.

Video games are my escape, not always, and only in short bursts, but still, I need to defocus from development, and system maintenance/design and just unwind occasionally. Everybody needs a hobby. :)

Video games are my escape, not always, and only in short bursts, but still, I need to defocus from development, and system maintenance/design and just unwind occasionally. Everybody needs a hobby. :)

Some games I have recently played: CS:GO, Left for Dead 2, Starcraft 2, Minecraft

I'm not much a fan of CS:GO. I prefer the older versions from 5-10 years ago.

Agreed, I used to manage about 25 game servers for an ISP before Steam/Source came out. That was great fun.. till it was taking up about 20 ours of my day just managing people instead of servers. (Killed it for me a little).

I used to play on HomelanFed servers, but they banned me for "cheating". When you play the same map for so long, you pick up on a lot of things, and apparently shooting enemies through walls when you hear them back there is "cheating".

Ever since then we had hosted our own CS servers. Turned into a great community, but slowly died down after Source came out.