Package Options - Disallow Downgrade

lukasP

We would like to have the ability to disallow downgrade of specific Package option for active services.

A checkbox should be added to the Package option configurator which disables the ability to downgrade the Package option.

Clients will have just the ability to upgrade the Package option. This is very useful for services using virtualization modules. In some VM filesystems it is not possible to decrease the VM disk size, only upgrade is possible.

Well, it should be placed in Options (Packages > Options > Options > e.g. Disk space). When Client will be editing service (upgrade/downgrade) Blesta will validate the inputs and disallow e.g. Disk space from being downgraded.

I agree with Options settings:

[x] Allow to upgrade

[x] Allow to downgrade

Well, it should be placed in Options (Packages > Options > Options > e.g. Disk space). When Client will be editing service (upgrade/downgrade) Blesta will validate the inputs and disallow e.g. Disk space from being downgraded.

I agree with Options settings:

[x] Allow to upgrade

[x] Allow to downgrade

Oh you don't mean packages but config options.

If this is just for configurable options, it makes sense for it to be a setting for the option. For example, in the "Basic" section at the top of Packages > Options > Create Option.

[x] Allow Upgrades

[x] Allow Downgrades

The issue is that how do we know what is an upgrade or a downgrade? There are different types:

- Checkbox (Should we assume that checking the box is an upgrade, and unchecking is a downgrade?)

- Radio / Dropdown (Should we assume that items toward the top of the Options you set are upgrades or downgrades?)

- Quantity (Should we assume a larger quantity is an upgrade, and a smaller quantity is a downgrade?)

There is currently no reliable way to determine what constitutes an upgrade. The assumptions that Paul described above is only one way of looking at it, and smaller quantities or unchecked values could be desired as upgrades instead of the other way around.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is.

See e.g.:

https://docs.onapp.com/display/41AG/Edit+Virtual+Server+Disks

It is not related to OnApp only. The VM can have higher disk usage than the new requested size.

There are ways to do it. Important is that it should be done by contacting provider for example. Unfortunately Blesta simply accepts the service configuration changes without informing provider about the changes. So the VM can hang or whatever else.

So as a workaround I disable descresing VM disk size in module and email provider to consult the situation with client when the module::editService() should process disk size decrease.

Yes, it is.

See e.g.:

https://docs.onapp.com/display/41AG/Edit+Virtual+Server+Disks

It is not related to OnApp only. The VM can have higher disk usage than the new requested size.

There are ways to do it. Important is that it should be done by contacting provider for example. Unfortunately Blesta simply accepts the service configuration changes without informing provider about the changes. So the VM can hang or whatever else.

So as a workaround I disable descresing VM disk size in module and email provider to consult the situation with client when the module::editService() should process disk size decrease.

So apparently the problem is not necessary the downgrading itself BUT rather the way it handled..

I would change this feature request to either 

A ) Have the option of informing the provider of a upgrade/downgrade and putting it in "pending" state for the provider to issue manually (not sure if this already exists or not)

Or 

B )Have it so the module (I am assuming we are talking about OnApp's SolusVM one) "probe" the VM prior to downgrades to ensure diskspace is less/equal to the requested downgrading and if it not cancel the downgrade and have the ability to notifies customers and/or the provider of the failure.  

This is related to all modules I think.

The best solution from my point of view is to validate in module the downgrade. So when client is doing downgrade process validation function in module. This function can return true by default and it is up to us if we want to do some validation or not.

So for e.g. Plesk, OnApp, SolusVM, cPanel etc. we can check e.g. disk usage and in the validation fuction we can return false in case the disk usage is higher than the requested disk size. Then Blesta will print an error to client like "Your disk usage is higher than requested new disk size.".

if i have asked how i can handel this behavior i will o the fallowing .

i will add a order of the package in thier group . so

1 - package A

2 - package B

3 - package C

so from A to B is allowed as upgrade , C to B or B to A is downgrade , is not allowed if the option is active .

for other case we can mesure the value , if the new value is lower than the actual value so is a downgrade .