Paypal Fees

evolvewh

I always set my pricing with taking into account transaction costs.

It's an unfortunate fact of life when it comes to running a business. On the plus side, those fee's are a business expense and can be written off.

It's good that it's a tax write off (I did know that) but until I get a bigger client base and more than 1-5 asking for it, I'm going back to Bluepay.  They can pay with all major credit cards including amex with us.

I'm in Canada and the only options I was aware of were Paypal & Stripe. Stripe is great, its really easy to program for and the rates are on par with Paypal.

Bluepay looks interesting. Their fee looks to be 1% lower or so (In Canada at least). And their rolling deposit is within 24 hours. This is one thing I'm not fond of with Stripe, as it takes 7 days to deposit to my account. At least with Paypal I can access the funds thru other companies who accept Paypal, immediately after receiving payment. The tradeoff, however, is they can lock your account right out for stupid reasons - I'm sure you've all read the horror stories.

I'm going to really look into Bluepay. I don't think Blesta has a module for it yet, do they?

I'm in Canada and the only options I was aware of were Paypal & Stripe. Stripe is great, its really easy to program for and the rates are on par with Paypal.

Bluepay looks interesting. Their fee looks to be 1% lower or so (In Canada at least). And their rolling deposit is within 24 hours. This is one thing I'm not fond of with Stripe, as it takes 7 days to deposit to my account. At least with Paypal I can access the funds thru other companies who accept Paypal, immediately after receiving payment. The tradeoff, however, is they can lock your account right out for stupid reasons - I'm sure you've all read the horror stories.

I'm going to really look into Bluepay. I don't think Blesta has a module for it yet, do they?

I would say realistically, it's 24-48 hours before the funds are in your account but it's still much faster than 7 days!  There is a module already for Bluepay within Blesta.  When I setup with them, I called back a few weeks later and complained that the fees were too high and got them to lower my monthly minimum.  You'll probably want to do the same and bargain for every deal you can get!

At some point you have to look at getting a merchant account and using a merchant gateway. If you have enough volume, it makes sense. Of course some people will prefer to pay with PayPal or 2Checkout or whatever, but anything you charge through your merchant account is likely to be at a better rate.

We are planning to partner up with some awesome merchant providers shortly, which will hopefully mean really good rates on merchant accounts.

At some point you have to look at getting a merchant account and using a merchant gateway. If you have enough volume, it makes sense. Of course some people will prefer to pay with PayPal or 2Checkout or whatever, but anything you charge through your merchant account is likely to be at a better rate.

We are planning to partner up with some awesome merchant providers shortly, which will hopefully mean really good rates on merchant accounts.

great news but please don't partner with 2Checkout haha they have a bad reputation at the moment voiding most webhosts for stupid reasons: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1254029