Blesta Emails Declared As Spam On Gmail

hadzo

Question

E-mail like the Password reset email or Invoice delivery email were declared as SPAM on GMAIL, I tried to change the email, sender name, the contents of the message but no luck.

This is the message I get "Why is this message in Spam? It's similar to messages that were detected by our spam filters."

What is your experience with this?

None of my test emails have gone to spam when sent to my gmail accounts.  I haven't done a lot of testing on it though, so I'll have to pay a bit more attention to it.

Gmail also uses a lot of checks in the email header, mail server/sender, etc to filter spam as well...so it could be the mail delivery setup on your server that is causing the problem as well (just an idea).

Gmail also uses a lot of checks in the email header, mail server/sender, etc to filter spam as well...so it could be the mail delivery setup on your server that is causing the problem as well (just an idea).

I checked that…none of emails sent via my server get declared as spam.

It is the generic content of the text and title,  far too many people use blesta as it is and so gmail somehow feels this is spam.

If you change the title and contents of the mails in the admin area you will see that gmail will no longer detect them as spam.

They have probably seen an influx of these emails since 3.0 was released, hopefully they'll stop blocking them by default. I assume no matter what we have it say, they would block it, so it's probably a good idea to customize it anyway.

You will have better luck if you use an SMTP server to send out emails instead of relying on php mail. If you have a google apps account for your company domain name you can use Gmail's smtp server to send out the emails. Here are the settings to use a google apps account as your Blesta SMTP mailer:

Delivery Method: SMTP
SMTP Security: SSL
SMTP Host: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP User: billing@yourcompany.com
SMTP Password: Whatever_You_Set

If you don't have that option then what you should do is create an email account on your company mail server using your domain, be sure to enable DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) and SPF on the server. It's not just Blesta, Gmail does not like mail originating from php mail scripts and worse yet if the mail server does not have suphp and the mail is coming from "nobody". So I believe that changing the contents of the emails will have little effect.

You will have better luck if you use an SMTP server to send out emails instead of relying on php mail. If you have a google apps account for your company domain name you can use Gmail's smtp server to send out the emails. Here are the settings to use a google apps account as your Blesta SMTP mailer:

If you don't have that option then what you should do is create an email account on your company mail server using your domain, be sure to enable DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) and SPF on the server. It's not just Blesta, Gmail does not like mail originating from php mail scripts and worse yet if the mail server does not have suphp and the mail is coming from "nobody". So I believe that changing the contents of the emails will have little effect.

Might use them to be honest :D

It is the generic content of the text and title,  far too many people use blesta as it is and so gmail somehow feels this is spam.

If you change the title and contents of the mails in the admin area you will see that gmail will no longer detect them as spam.

Thanks for your post, now I know I am not the only one experiencing this problem. I did change the subject and message, still having issues, will try to modify more the contents of the email message template and try again.

I get this but I am using my email address for gmail: 

Connection could not be established with host ssl://smtp.gmail.com [php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known #0]

For Blesta v3 remove the ssl:// part from the host name, I think it's only needed in v2.5.

Blesta v3 SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com

Blesta v2.5 SMTP Host: ssl://smtp.gmail.com

Tried that mate:

Blesta returned on the email page: The email failed to send due to a configuration issue.

Logs returned: Connection could not be established with host smtp.gmail.com [Connection timed out #110]

The ports aren't blocked in the firewall, so a bit confused lol.

It's working for me so I'm certain the settings are correct. I think the error is associated with blocked ports on firewall or inability to use ssl. Since you already checked the firewall, try switching security to TLS on port 587. If it works on TLS but not SSL then the web server is probably missing the php openssl module.

Try TLS only for testing, even if it works do not use it on your production environment because TLS can failover to no security if it cannot negotiate an encrypted connection, SSL on the other hand is better to use because if it cannot establish a secure connection it will fail so no chance of plain data being transmitted. Check your phpinfo to see if openssl is available.

It's working for me so I'm certain the settings are correct. I think the error is associated with blocked ports on firewall or inability to use ssl. Since you already checked the firewall, try switching security to TLS on port 587. If it works on TLS but not SSL then the web server is probably missing the php openssl module.

Try TLS only for testing, even if it works do not use it on your production environment because TLS can failover to no security if it cannot negotiate an encrypted connection, SSL on the other hand is better to use because if it cannot establish a secure connection it will fail so no chance of plain data being transmitted. Check your phpinfo to see if openssl is available.

Ok mate I did that

Got this error on the email sending it: The email failed to send due to a configuration issue.

Logs: Connection could not be established with host smtp.gmail.com [Connection timed out #110]

Looks like the same error :s

Switched over to mandrill. Emails get delivered to gmail.

sorry, how to set smtp Mandrill? 

my settings: 
Host: smtp.mandrillapp.com 
Port 587 
I try smtp security: none / TSL / SSL:
same result. that is error. The log "Connection could not be established with host smtp.mandrillapp.com [Connection timed out # 110]" in the form, ticket "The email failed to send due to a configuration issue."

**blesta 3.2**

sorry, how to set smtp Mandrill? 

my settings: 

Host: smtp.mandrillapp.com 

Port 587 

I try smtp security: none / TSL / SSL:

same result. that is error. The log "Connection could not be established with host smtp.mandrillapp.com [Connection timed out # 110]" in the form, ticket "The email failed to send due to a configuration issue."

**blesta 3.2**

For SMTP Security, select TLS. Make sure port 587 egress is open at your firewall.

I was not sure what was wrong. cfs settings, I already open port 587 and restart exim & cfs  :(

I had a similar issue with both WHMCS and Blesta. There is another setting in CSF that was blocking me. See the screenshot and add the username of the account trying to use mandrill to the box. Also, make sure the port is open for SMTP.  Then restart.

No promises, but it's another option to try.

I hope this helps!

post-10453-0-02175700-1402539014_thumb.p

I had a similar issue with both WHMCS and Blesta. There is another setting in CSF that was blocking me. See the screenshot and add the username of the account trying to use mandrill to the box. Also, make sure the port is open for SMTP.  Then restart.

No promises, but it's another option to try.

I hope this helps!

thank's (solved).add user name cpanel in allowuser cfs.

smtp with google app, running :)

Edited by sedudohost