mass mailer questions

Blesta Addons

i have tested the mass mailer and is working well at the momen, as i have tested wit a small number of clients accounts . how much the mass mailer send email per job ?

if i have 10000 clients , and i have select theme all , in the cronjob will try to send 10000 oneshoot or it will devide the job by cronjob interval ,like 1000 per cron ?

23 hours ago, Paul said:

The cron runs every 5 minutes, so on average 2.5 minutes to start. It will email everyone as quickly as possible when it runs. If it crashes, it will pick up where it left off at the next cron run.

so it attempt to send all the emails in the one shoot ....

i really prefer if a setting that we edit to set how many email is sent via every job , like 50 email per job , so we will send 600 email per hour . this is can be limited to the emails fetched from the request in cronjob .

from my case, more than 5000 contacts i can't email or try to do it in one shoot . also google, msn, yahoo, they have filter to block ip that use abusive send .

The major email providers will block spam or those perceived to be spam, so don't send spam and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Emailing a lot of users will take a long time to send anyway. If you send 5000 emails from the mass mailer, I would not be surprised if it took 90 minutes to complete. I don't think this would trigger a rate limit.

It depends on your mail server. Generally email is spooled up in your SMTP server, so from Blesta's perspective the emails should go relatively quickly. Then, the MTA makes the necessary connections to each recipients mail server.

I'd suggest giving this a try, once you upgrade (Or if possible during beta) to see if you experience any issues. I don't think you will. If you do, sleep() after each message for a little while would slow it down a bit. Not sure if Tyson would recommend it, but it would be the simplest way to rate limit. I'm not convinced there is an absolute need to add a setting for rate limiting.

5 hours ago, Tyson said:

The major email providers will block spam or those perceived to be spam, so don't send spam and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Emailing a lot of users will take a long time to send anyway. If you send 5000 emails from the mass mailer, I would not be surprised if it took 90 minutes to complete. I don't think this would trigger a rate limit.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

It depends on your mail server. Generally email is spooled up in your SMTP server, so from Blesta's perspective the emails should go relatively quickly. Then, the MTA makes the necessary connections to each recipients mail server.

I'd suggest giving this a try, once you upgrade (Or if possible during beta) to see if you experience any issues. I don't think you will. If you do, sleep() after each message for a little while would slow it down a bit. Not sure if Tyson would recommend it, but it would be the simplest way to rate limit. I'm not convinced there is an absolute need to add a setting for rate limiting.

have you tested or even read about PHP Mylist ?

i can't enter to debate now until i test it in a real production . but allow sending 5000 or more in one shoot is a killer function .

19 minutes ago, naja7host said:

have you tested or even read about PHP Mylist ?

i can't enter to debate now until i test it in a real production . but allow sending 5000 or more in one shoot is a killer function .

I used PHP Mylist a long time ago, I don't recall what rate limiting if any they put into place. If you have a big list, I would highly recommend using SMTP over PHP Mail. In either case, looking forward to some input when sending to a large number of recipients.

Hello,

Just my 2 cents :P  (i still dont have time to test the latest Blesta eheh)

Naja7host is right, it should have an option to limit by batch, because some servers limit emails by hour (we also limit for our custummers), , so if Blesta tries to send abovethe account is blocked and all outhers emails are rejected by the server for sending.

I thinks its a litle adjustment to MassMail and only a few lines of code :blesta:

Regards,
PV

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to agree with the others... it's best to have a billing-system dial for how many to send at any given time. I would not assume that the mail server will spool it for you and send it out in batches. I would assume that by default you should have the option to control how often it sends e-mail and how quickly it should send that e-mail.

Complying with the CAN-SPAM act in the US and other likewise legislation in other countries would be difficult if you assume that any Blesta user wouldn't mind having their billing server be blacklisted for sending out too much... even if it is legit.

Thanks for the information, I'll discuss rate limits with the team.

Does anyone have a problem with mail being sent from the cron rather than from the browser? For me, I like being able to keep the window open and see the email go out when the cron starts, but not having to worry about leaving the page and interrupting the mailing.

8 minutes ago, AnthonyL said:

I can't think of a task that should rely on the browser being open to complete something. Just the logic behind it doesn't make sense to me. Is there any technical reason anything needs the browser open to continue the process? 

Thanks for the feedback. If the web server is responsible for running the mailer, and the connection drops or the browser is closed, it's likely that it will be interrupted. I *think* this is how the competition works. We build it to be more rock solid than that, by queuing mailings for the cron to process. So, for Blesta, you can watch the email go out, but if you close your browser it will not interrupt anything.

ya that's how i say everything should run. I don't want to rely on a stable browser connection to have anything done within my software. As little failure points as possible. 

I suppose a cool feature would allow the user to go back to a page and see the action in progress, but not actually rely on the browser to keep the process going

15 hours ago, Paul said:

Thanks for the feedback. If the web server is responsible for running the mailer, and the connection drops or the browser is closed, it's likely that it will be interrupted. I *think* this is how the competition works. We build it to be more rock solid than that, by queuing mailings for the cron to process. So, for Blesta, you can watch the email go out, but if you close your browser it will not interrupt anything.

cPanel has the same feature in transfer of backup restore action .

you can watch the progress in browser , and close the browser , return again and open the task to see what the task is doing now ...

so +1 .