Convert Domain Searches To Lowercase

Daniel B

Currently, when using the logicboxes module (I haven't tested the others as the only other one I could use is enom, which I will test shortly) using a capital letter when searching for a domain name will cause the search to not find available domains.

It would be a lot better if the module automatically changed all letters to lowercase before starting the search, that way valid domains will actually be found.

Thread discussing this issue: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3093-logicboxes-module-domain-search-fails-from-mobile/

Example:

Searching for Asdafljkdftlkjfsd.com will return "Not Available" when asdafijkdftlkjfsd.com is in fact available.  This is a larger issue for mobile users since most mobile devices automatically capitilize the first letter, though the issue also exists for non-mobile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've assigned this to CORE-1369 as a "Task". I'm not sure this is a bug with Blesta so much as it is a bug with the domain registrar as we rely on them to do the lookup. It seems like they should be running string to lower on the input if it causes a problem.. but, this should fix it!

As with any business once you included their module in your software package the buying public (your clients) think it is part of your overall software package. They will want you to fix it. Unfair, but true.

This is not really a bug. It is more of an oversight on the people who wrote the plug in. I found it only because someone told me it did not work. It never occured to me to verify if it works with mobile devices.

The plug-in may have been written well before the handheld market got so big. So no one cared if it did or did not work with mobile devices. In my Google adwords account I see that those people shopping to start a small business on line ---more than 60% will use a handheld device to make the purchase.

With numbers like those we can't afford to ignore them. Software products (including any plugins they use) have to be written and verified to work with mobile devices.

• 1 year later...