4.0 Beta 1 Begins Thursday September 15th

Paul

Warming up the beta forums. We've scheduled Beta 1 to start next Thursday, September 15th. We've had quite a few issues pop up with regard to the minPHP upgrade, and we're really close to having those all resolved. That's not to say we've caught everything. Being a major release, please consider 4.0 beta 1 more of an alpha, and do not under any circumstances run it in production.

Looking forward to it!

6 hours ago, AnthonyL said:

what are some of the things we should be focusing on?

Everything, really, since essentially everything has been updated. i.e.

• submit every form with good and bad data
  • perform every action (including those in extensions)
  • check for anything out of the ordinary like blank white pages, or pages with errors
  • upgrade from version 3 to 4
  • create a new installation of v4
  • perform migrations from v2.5/whmcs to v4
  • check for obvious (or not so obvious) page styling issues
  • see if anything comes across confusing that you think can be improved
  • ensure current functionality still works
  • try out the Mass Mailer plugin
6 hours ago, AnthonyL said:

I don't mind setting up a pure dev license and importing some data into it and then running it as if it were production but without any outgoing emails or notices

A dev system would be perfect, but where would you be importing data from? Not real data from a production environment, correct?

Sometimes people insist to me that they want to test changes in a dev environment where the data mirrors what is on the production server. It sounds like a simple and convenient way to test what is and what will be, for comparison. They'll just disable emails from being sent and disable payments from going through in order to be sure real customers do not receive emails or get charged from the dev environment while they are testing it. However, this is a horrible, horrible, horrible idea for numerous reasons. Not only does it limit what you can test (e.g. can't test sending emails or making payments), but bugs may exist that send emails, make payments, etc., even when disabled. All data in a test/dev environment must be test data. I hope that's the intent of everyone that will be trying out the beta.

7 hours ago, George A. said:

Hello,

Looking forward to test Blesta v4.

I have only one question: will the extensions coded for Blesta v3 stiil work for v4 too?

Kind regards,

George.

Yes they will, the design for v3 modules UI will look a bit weird with the old buttons etc, but it will work that's why they've taken so long to ensure minPHP 1.0 is backwards compatible :D

Plugins and other extensions should be backwards compatible yes.. but you should *test* this. We've run into some issues where our plugins were not working properly and have had to make adjustments to the minPHP bridge. As Mike mentioned, you may want to update your buttons in your plugins to use the new Bootstrap ones, but if you don't they should still work.

Test, test, test, everything you can think of. It's possible we missed something, and being a major release, this version requires extra scrutiny.

On 09/10/2016 at 8:11 PM, Paul said:

Plugins and other extensions should be backwards compatible yes.. but you should *test* this. We've run into some issues where our plugins were not working properly and have had to make adjustments to the minPHP bridge. As Mike mentioned, you may want to update your buttons in your plugins to use the new Bootstrap ones, but if you don't they should still work.

Test, test, test, everything you can think of. It's possible we missed something, and being a major release, this version requires extra scrutiny.

How much work waiting me!!!  i need update all my plugins and modules  ....

Anyone know where i can buy more time for my day ? 24 hours is not enough for me !!!!

On 9/10/2016 at 7:20 AM, Paul said:

Warming up the beta forums. We've scheduled Beta 1 to start next Thursday, September 15th. We've had quite a few issues pop up with regard to the minPHP upgrade, and we're really close to having those all resolved. That's not to say we've caught everything. Being a major release, please consider 4.0 beta 1 more of an alpha, and do not under any circumstances run it in production.

Looking forward to it!

Now that is exciting news.

17 hours ago, naja7host said:

Anyone know where i can buy more time for my day ? 24 hours is not enough for me !!!!

I would like to know where I can buy extra hours per day.. or maybe some magic pills that make it so you don't have to sleep. ;)

Hopefully you don't have to change anything in your plugins. But, if they use buttons or icons you may want to to make them consistent.

Cool news :)

I was very buisy this last months (not vacations, I dont understand the word vacations or hollydays in our buisness :P )

Whell, like naja7host says, time to start upgrading every plugin/module/extension/mode made for Belesta :blesta: 

Thanks Paul/Tyson/Cody/Jonathan for your hard work :)

Sega "Dytona USA" racer game tribute:
Blestars, Start Your (DEV Servers) Engines eheh :P

Regards,
PV

2 hours ago, cyandark said:

I'm ready to test the beta today. :blesta:

4 minutes ago, timnboys said:

so am I 

Great! I have a build that we are doing some internal testing with, that we plan to release sometime this morning. It's actually build #100 since we migrated to Git from SVN. Nice round number to start beta 1 with. :blesta: 

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Great! I have a build that we are doing some internal testing with, that we plan to release sometime this morning. It's actually build #100 since we migrated to Git from SVN. Nice round number to start beta 1 with. :blesta: 

okay I just have to inform you paul your jira says it has unsupported cipher in ssl on it in chrome.

11 minutes ago, timnboys said:

okay I just have to inform you paul your jira says it has unsupported cipher in ssl on it in chrome.

I know, it's because that server only supports TLS 1.0. We need to provision a new OS, and migrate Jira to a new server. It's a pain, so I haven't done it yet.

54 minutes ago, Paul said:

Tutorial link?

yes here: https://www.insecure.ws/linux/apache_ssl.html

relevant part to change in mod_ssl:

# Best but least compatible with older browsers
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1

By the way paul I use centos 6 and have no intentions on upgrading to 7 and that is the mod_ssl configuration I use to force TLS v1.2/1.1

here is my config on centos 6 that has tls 1.2 enabled:

#   SSL Protocol support:
# List the enable protocol levels with which clients will be able to
# connect.  Disable SSLv2 access by default:
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 +TLSv1.2

23 minutes ago, timnboys said:

yes here: https://www.insecure.ws/linux/apache_ssl.html

relevant part to change in mod_ssl:

# Best but least compatible with older browsers
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1

By the way paul I use centos 6 and have no intentions on upgrading to 7 and that is the mod_ssl configuration I use to force TLS v1.2/1.1

here is my config on centos 6 that has tls 1.2 enabled:

#   SSL Protocol support:
# List the enable protocol levels with which clients will be able to
# connect.  Disable SSLv2 access by default:
SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 +TLSv1.2

So the trick is to specifically add (+TLSv1.2) to the SSLProtocols? Because it doesn't seem to be included in "All".