News From Cpanel

evolvewh

11 to 54, wow. I understand their reasoning, but why not 11.54, then 12, 13, 14 if they want to break semver.

Interesting re OpenID, though their cPanel login screen is looking pretty confusing with so many options. Probably a much better way to present these options.

2FA is nice, sounds like they plan to implement TOTP. We implemented TOTP for Blesta in 2010.

Some of the performance improvements sound really good.

maybe i get  what idea they have . thier release version was 11.50 , 11.51 , 11.52 ; 11.53 ... they have eliminate the leading number 11. and just keeped the secondary numbers 54 ..ect ...

they have a huge modification in thier core files , and i like the most of them ... specially what they are doing in users management and server optimization , i hve not yet tested plesk 12  , but i'm tottaly satisfied with cpanel at the moment .

maybe i get  what idea they have . thier release version was 11.50 , 11.51 , 11.52 ; 11.53 ... they have eliminate the leading number 11. and just keeped the secondary numbers 54 ..ect ...

they have a huge modification in thier core files , and i like the most of them ... specially what they are doing in users management and server optimization , i hve not yet tested plesk 12  , but i'm tottaly satisfied with cpanel at the moment .

11. was their 11th version then they just kept patching up.

11. was their 11th version then they just kept patching up.

They never really versioned things properly which is why they were stuck on 11 for so long. They introduced numerous backwards incompatible changes and kept incrementing the minor release only. In a sense, their new versioning scheme just removes the redundancy and allows them to continue as they were. The bright side is that yes, it will probably be less confusing for people.

They never really versioned things properly which is why they were stuck on 11 for so long. They introduced numerous backwards incompatible changes and kept incrementing the minor release only. In a sense, their new versioning scheme just removes the redundancy and allows them to continue as they were. The bright side is that yes, it will probably be less confusing for people.

Knowing quite a bit about the internals and history of cPanel and their very early beginnings this statement is quite correct.  A lot of these changes are because Nick is finally letting go of some power to an extent whereas in the past he's pretty much single-handedly reviewed each piece of code, rewritten lots of it, etc.  In recent years cPanel finally started getting structured like you'd expect a software development company to be.

I can't say I'm perfectly happy with it.  While yes changes are coming much quicker these days, so are bugs.  Some of that is due to how inherently large cPanel has become as a software package but some is because they're pumping out features like crazy and can't do as much QA.  The "stable" tier of these days is like the "release" tier of 5 years ago stability-wise, and what was the stable tier then no longer exists due to the rate at which they're pumping stuff out.

hello all :)

I have to say, love cPanel, love there client support system, dont dislike prices, dont dislike the patchs released :)

I only hate the WHMCS + cPanel partnership, thet partnership make me think on change cPanel for Interworx or even the free ones :)

The cPanel 11.54 seems very promessing, because of native nGinx support (Im using Apachebooster that uses Varnish + Nginx and works great on shared servers with cPanel + CloudLinux), everithing else dosent show me interess :P

Regards,

PV

hello all :)

I have to say, love cPanel, love there client support system, dont dislike prices, dont dislike the patchs released :)

I only hate the WHMCS + cPanel partnership, thet partnership make me think on change cPanel for Interworx or even the free ones :)

The cPanel 11.54 seems very promessing, because of native nGinx support (Im using Apachebooster that uses Varnish + Nginx and works great on shared servers with cPanel + CloudLinux), everithing else dosent show me interess :P

Regards,

PV

Not 11.54 just 54 ;)

I have switched to Apache mod_lsapi of cloudlinux .. something wonderfull as result .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not too thrilled about the bloat (e.g.OpenID) being added to cPanel. It's a nice feature for some web hosts, but I'll trust Blesta or whatever billing software we're using to handle logins. This option should be disabled by default.

Just need someone's Facebook to be hacked and get into their cPanel change the password and boom haha.

• 1 month later...

Should i change to DriectAdmin :( my server at OVH and i'm using only 2 site . cPanel/WHM is so expensive ^^

There's InterWorx, DirectAdmin & Plesk which are alternatives. DirectAdmin is ok but not the best security wise it takes about a month for a patch. But then in my opinion DA is better than Plesk, but Plesk cron jobs are a pain. But it's down to what's best for you. We use InterWorx ourselves.